What is the best chorus?

cg_25

• Members

Ok, so i've foudn a few analog CE-5s. Whats everyone's take on them? Are they better than the ditial ones? Do they resemble a ce-1 or even ce-3 in anyway. What's a reasonable price?

They resemble them a bit. The CE-1 is more subtle and maybe more warbly, the ce-3 I found to be a little cold sounding. If anything, I would say the ce-5 is most like the CE-2, which is what it was modeled after. It's supposed to be a ce-2 with more control, which it has. Having had ce-2's and ce-5's I can tell you that the ce-5 may not be as warm sounding, but you can definitely get real close to it, and the analog ones do sound better than the digital ones. Same thing with the CH-1, they were also made analog before digital and sound pretty good also.

If you're running this with two amps, go for the the ce-5, if you're only using one amp, find a CE-2.

However, if you can spring for a little more, I've been using the analogman chorus, non-stereo, and it's excellent!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I need a fast answer... I might snatch up a like-new analog one for $55, I think that's a steal!!!!

I wouldn't pass that up either. If you want somthing else later, no big deal.

A lot of talk here about the T.C.chorus, if you're in that price range, don't forget in another month TC ships it's new modulator, which has a TC chorus (from the G system) and a new "tri-chorus". Lot's of adjustability, even able to run two seperate chorus effects at the same time.

And it has the bonus of other modulation effects, and it's cheaper than the original classic chorus. Just thought I'd point that out if ya hadn't already looked at it.

• Members
I wouldn't pass that up either. If you want somthing else later, no big deal.

A lot of talk here about the T.C.chorus, if you're in that price range, don't forget in another month TC ships it's new modulator, which has a TC chorus (from the G system) and a new "tri-chorus". Lot's of adjustability, even able to run two seperate chorus effects at the same time.

And it has the bonus of other modulation effects, and it's cheaper than the original classic chorus. Just thought I'd point that out if ya hadn't already looked at it.

The main reason I wont go with TC is because the power source is built in :freak:

• Members

Too many good chorus's to choose from. Tops for me right now...

Analog Man standard, stereo
-good sound, modest features
-expensive price :freak:

Fulltone Choralflange
-Lots of features, flanging mode also
-reasonable price :thu:

Boss Ce-5 (analog version)
- cheap price
- classic Boss chorus
- avaiable used only

I dislike the fact that the retro-sonic stereo chorus doesn't actually produce a stereo chorus, it just splits the wet and dry signals.

• Members
The TC doesn't get a ton of love around here as it isn't "new" and "boutique", but it's one of the best damned choruses I've heard (keep in mind I'm not a huge chorus fan). It's the ONLY chorus pedal I've heard that
gets close to classic rack chorus sounds
. And it's versatile.

:love: :love:

• Members

I was given a DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus by my HM Secret Santa. I'm not really a chorus guy and the last Chorus I'd had (EHX Small Clone) did nothing for me. The DOD is VERY good. Subtle, plenty of range, analog and CHEAP! Totally worth picking up on eBay for next to nothing to see if it tickles your fancy.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I was also going to get the EHX clone theory because its in the same family as the small clone, however, I've heard its got alot of noise, can anyone confirm this?

Mine's pretty quiet. Bit of high frequency swishing when the strings are muted, but that comes with most pedals. Solid pedal, would like a mix knob on it, but other than that it's really great. The vibrato is quite usable on it too. Tried quite few pedals before I settled on this. None of the boss pedals really caught my fancy, the Small Clone was too much, not enough control, the nano clone had a noticeable volume drop, but a decent sound and I couldn't get one decent sound out of a Marshall.

• Members

i like my boss super chorus. gift from my mom. i like it b/c it can be dialed in to be very subtle, which is how i like my chorus. if you want thick chorus, i'd recommend a Dano DC1 cool cat chorus. it's 18v though. both of these feature stereo outs.

• Members
I"ve been on a hunt recently to find the best chorus. More oppropriatly it has to be a chorus that is versatile and produces warm stereo choral tones. I've been doing research, listening to cound clips, searching youtube.... and I just can't seem to be able to choose the best. What is the best bang for the buck? And this pedal should be readily available new or used.

So in your opinion what chorus pedal(s)...

-Sound(s) the best

-
Run(s) in stereo

-are/is cost effective?

-are/is readily available?

Some things I've come across: (what are you opinions on these)

Boss Ce-3

TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flange

Analog Man Standard Chorus (in stereo)

EHX clone-theory

Visual sound H20

Red Witch Empress

Please keep in mind that not all of the above chorus pedals are cost-friendly:freak:

BEST- Contenders, IMO are not pedals BUT there are some killer pedals.

Nominations for BEST Chorus (In no particular order of preference are)

TC Electronic 2290
Eventide H8000FW
TC Electronic 1210
Dyno My Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus
Roland Dimension D

NAMMpics023.jpg

Tri_stereo_front_big.jpg

Dimension-D-lg.jpg

Chorus Pedals I like:

Boss CE2
Arion SCH-1
TC Electronic SCF

• Members

I play the TC (still have it). Great pedal. Awesome Andy Summers sounds. Very vintage (tin-like) tones. I also LOVED the Retrosonic Chorus (CE-1 clone). Fantastic pedal. I had a non-stereo version which I sold looking to get a stereo 9Volt version. Just haven't gotten around to it. Either would be a quality addition to any collection.

• Members

I really like my Fulltone Choralflange. Very versatile, and sounds incredible in stereo.

+1 I had one of these once & want another real bad.It could cop any of my buddies ANalogman chorus tones and much more.Its a realy hip flanger too.

Archived