More pedal jacks in kbd controllers, please!

• Members

I'm wondering if anyone else finds this as annoying as I do. I've been looking at various keyboard controllers from M Audio and CME, and they all have dozens of knobs and sliders but only two inputs for footswitches or control pedals. I have no use for any keyboard controller that has less than three footswitch jacks, because I need to dedicate one footswitch as a "patch advance" while still having volume and sustain pedals. Additional footswitches could be used to turn Leslie off or on for B3 simulators, to activate layers in patches, to open up filters and dozens of other functions.

Kurzweil was way ahead of the curve on this with the PC-88 (two continuous, four footswitch jacks) but in order to get even a third footswitch jack these days I have to pay for a Roland RD700SX or a Yamaha S90ES. Are there others I'm missing?

• Members

My most versatile controller is that Roland XP-80 that I picked up for $400 last fall. It's got five controller out jacks with four assignable. Two default to prog-up and prog-down (hey... if you go up you gotta go back down right?).

But I'm really using this XP-80 more and more because of it's quality keyboard and easy program change sends form it's front panel. There's a 10 key as well as dedicated program change buttons, so you can do either.

All these things seem to be lacking in current controllers optimized for computer software. You might want to think about picking up a used XP-80. For what you want out of a controller, it's perfect.

• Members

I agree.

The current computer peripherals aren't really meant for players. Outfitting keyboards for Live useage was at it's peak in the late 80s / early 90s. Ensoniqs had a lot of options. I have meet many keyboard "players" that can't even use a volume pedal. :rolleyes:

• Members

I agree with you 100 %...4-5 jacks would be perfect... My Roland XP-80 has 4 assignable & 1 hold pedal jacks...

I set pedals 1-4 (Up prog- down prog- tap tempo-start/stop)...The 5th jack is used with expression/damper pedal for hold/sustain...

All pedals slide around floor, so i duck tape them to floor...& lablel with marker pen the parameters for each pedal...

• Members

I'd rather see more elaborate all-in-one MIDI foot controller systems, something that would also catch on as an industry standard. I personally don't like a bunch of spaghetti under my feet. Imagine something that had all of your sustain, volume, expression, triggers for program change inc/dec, any MIDI message send/receive, supported by Ableton/Reason or your choice of DAW in one convenient sturdy but length-expandable (adjustable to spacing preferences) type of case.

• Members

watch out...the sustain pedal is the UNlatched Boss...which is a great solid piece of kit, get one!

latched: HIT! on-on-on-on-on-HIT!-off-off-off-off-off

unlatched HIT=on-off-off-off-off-off-HIT=on-off-off-off-off

• Members

Another good way to add an additonal footswitch is the pedal controller from MIDI solutions in Canada.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

I used one to add an additional volume pedal to a Roland RD 700SX for a project and it worked flawlessly.

I still think it's absurd that a controlling keyboard that has dozens of switches and knobs only has two pedal inputs. Apparently none of the people who design these things ever play with both hands at the same time.

I had a look at the $4,000 + Open Labs keyboard systems yesterday, and what do you know? Only two f*cking pedal jacks! I'm going to go bang my head against the wall a bit more.

• Members

watch out...the sustain pedal is the UNlatched Boss...which is a great solid piece of kit, get one!

latched: HIT! on-on-on-on-on-HIT!-off-off-off-off-off

unlatched HIT=on-off-off-off-off-off-HIT=on-off-off-off-off

oops, sorry, thats what i meant to say. Thanks for correcting me.

• Members

... there must be something horribly wrong somewhere on that statement... Roland copying Behringer...

... time to kiss your loved ones and say "bye bye" ?

After further research, i've deduced that roland not only copied the behringer, but actually split it in two.

FC200-large.jpg

Half the pedals and all the buttons with a horrible display :p

FC300-large.jpg

All the pedals with half the buttons, display is better.

FCB1010.jpg

ALL THE PEDALS/BUTTONS/DISPLAY!!!

Also half the price of the roland models. Given, the rollies are probably built like tanks, but the FCB1010 looks slimmer and more portable.

:wave:

• Members
I have meet many keyboard "players" that can't even use a volume pedal.

That is what velocity sensitivity is for. Or the volume knob. I think any more than 3 pedal jacks is pointless. I'd rather have 2 and a breath input. The bigger problem is having the necessary modulation routings to make use of the pedals. Nothing pisses me off more than wanting to control something and not being able to ..... yes you roland v-synth and your crappy control of COSM!

• Members

That is what velocity sensitivity is for. Or the volume knob.

It never ceases to amaze me how people forget how their playing style can affect the dynamics of the music and the notes. I don't use a volume pedal when I play Keyboard or Guitar, although I may plan to integrate one into my keyboard playing in the form of the behringer fcb1010.

• Members

That is what velocity sensitivity is for. Or the volume knob.

Velocity sensitivity is not used for Hammonds and the like. Nor was it ever used for Mellotrons and Minimoogs and ARPs, etc.

Volume pedals were originally called Expression pedals. They are for expression. Extremely useful for strings, as one example.

For piano emulations, a volume pedal is rarely used. For music with expression, it is used a lot.

Archived