Recommend me a Wah

J.L.C.

• Members

Today I sat down to do some mods on my old Crybaby GCB-95

I attempted to make it true bypass and tried a couple tone-changing mods.....

But, all I really accomplished was killing it :o

So - now I'm in the market for a new wah.

Preferably true bypass because it's the only thing between guitar and amp. Not too squawky - the crybaby was pretty harsh.

I don't use wah a whole lot, but I play a lot of RHCP and Hendrix so I like to have a wah in the arsenal.

• Members

ha, kinda funny, i was going to tell you to buy a regular old Crybaby (GCB-95) from your local used gear spot, and then make it true bypass and do a few simple mods but i see that is the exact reason you are in the market for a new wah so...

well I have used the Vox Clyde wah and liked it a lot. also used the Crybaby Classic which includes the italian fasel inductor for the vintage vibe. i liked it a lot too.

you are basically looking at those two if you want to keep the price down without buying a piece of junk. if you have the money, i would try the high-end boutique wahs like Fulltone or Buddah or whatever the latest one is.

but honestly, my favorite wah is a regular old crybaby wah that i picked up for less than 40 bucks from musicgoround. then modded it with a true bypass switch and a few other mods like removing the input buffer, and then changing a few resistors to get the volume and gain where i wanted them.

check this link for a goldmine of wah modding info including pictures of different brands pcb layouts

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html

• Members

you are basically looking at those two if you want to keep the price down without buying a piece of junk. if you have the money, i would try the high-end boutique wahs like Fulltone or Buddah or whatever the latest one is.

but honestly, my favorite wah is a regular old crybaby wah that i picked up for less than 40 bucks from musicgoround. then modded it with a true bypass switch and a few other mods like removing the input buffer, and then changing a few resistors to get the volume and gain where i wanted them.

check this link for a goldmine of wah modding info including pictures of different brands pcb layouts

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html

That's the link I was following :(

I think I at least removed the buffer and succeeded with the bypass, because I can play through it even with no power to it, but when I turn it on....I got nothin

It was also basically my first attempt at soldering

• Members

I liked the budda bud wah, but there's no tailoring it to your guitars. just a preset wah sound, although it's great, miles better than any crybaby or vox i've tried personally (there's a lot of em)

The fulltone clyde and clyde deluxe are also VERY good sounding and if you spend the dough on the deluxe you get a volume boost knob and three wah modes!

the RMC3 was also a great pedal just as good a tone as with the AREA 51 (see below) but you have to access the inside of the pedal to adjust it's controls. It is a little more tweakable than the area 51 but I'd have to dismantle my pedal board every time i'd switch guitars.

I ended up choosing the AREA 51 wah loaded with every feature. Sounded a little sweeter all around than the clyde or budda, and I've got a Q control, a Growl control, a 5 position range knob, and a switchable fuzz buffer so I could use it in front of a germanium fuzz if I wanted to, just in case!

of course it cost me over 300 bucks, which is almost twice what the bud wah costs, but I needed the extras and i love how the AREA 51 interacts with my guitar and amp.

• Members

So my next question is - where do you guys get these wahs?

I'm in Canada so I'm assuming I'll have to order online, but even that is proving to be difficult.

I'd really like to avoid eBay and would much rather get something from an authorized dealer. But, I can't seem to track anyone down.

• Members

So my next question is - where do you guys get these wahs?

I'm in Canada so I'm assuming I'll have to order online, but even that is proving to be difficult.

I'd really like to avoid eBay and would much rather get something from an authorized dealer. But, I can't seem to track anyone down.

Got mine from Stompin Ground.

http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/rmc.htm

Archived