Ehhhhh crap ... I need a compressor

• Members

Well, after 17 years of playing guitar with no compressor I'm finally gonna give in. As my sound gets more and more fuzzed out (which is awesome) it becomes more and more difficult to get articulate fingerstyle out of my rig. Reluctantly, I've decided it's compressor time.

SO ... school me please. Best compressors (reasonably priced) for electric fingerstyle? And, since I'm a complete noob in regard to using them ... a little guidance? Thaaaaaaaanks.

• Members

I don't know much either.....but here are my compressors and how I use them.

1. Keeley two knob...for blues, combined with a TS-9 type OD it can't be beat

2. Digitech MainSqueeze...for very very clean finger-style and chords

3. Pearl CO-04...use for extremely squashed chicken pickin' stuff(I suck at that, so I don't use it much)

• Members

3. Pearl CO-04...use for extremely squashed chicken pickin' stuff(I suck at that, so I don't use it much)

Yeah that's exactly what I need ... for chickin' pickin' (just really, really fuzzed out crazy chickin' pickin') ... are some compressors better for this than others? I want as little compression as possible while still remaining articulate.

• Members

Yeah that's exactly what I need ... for chickin' pickin' (just really, really fuzzed out crazy chickin' pickin') ... are some compressors better for this than others? I want as little compression as possible while still remaining articulate.

Yeah.the Keeley is NOT good in that department, but I hear the MXR Dynacomp is probably what you're looking for.

• Members

Dude, you have good taste in gear but I don't see myself dropping the cash necessary to get a Diamond compressor ... how much is it?

$179 I think. Try to find one used is my suggestion, but it's really awesome. The EQ knob is pretty bitchin' too.

• Members

Boss CS-3 used off of Ebay with the Monte Allums Opto Plus mod. Transparent and very quiet. Can hold it's own against any boutique pedal.

I just got one too. I've never had a compressor before, but it seems to be doing what I wanted it to do (especially helpful with taping dynamics)

• Members

I just got one too. I've never had a compressor before, but it seems to be doing what I wanted it to do (especially helpful with taping dynamics)

Do you mean taping dynamics like recording or tapping dynamics like EVH?

• Members

Riley, I've had a cs-2 for like 2 years now, and still {censored}ing love it. If you can find one, go for it. If you don't like it, you can at least get what you paid out of it, because they're definitely not going down in value

I also have a CS-2. Every now and then I take it off my board thinking I don't need it. Then I put it back on just to see if it makes a difference and end up thinking "Geez this sounds so much better, why did I ever take it off".

I think the CS-3 w/mod would be similar.

I honestly don't know much about compressors, but what I have learned is that my tone just sounds better when I'm using it. I play an AC30CC with a Jazzmaster, usually with lots of effects. The CS-2 just seems to "open up" or "widen" the sound. That's the only way to describe it.

• Members

I just finished my BYOC 5-knob comp. It was a bear of an adventure - I had to order a second PCB b/c I had awful luck w/ the first, but I took my time and got it wired up and it's pretty awesome. I have it wired up outside of the enclosure for now (wanted to make sure it was working first), but I can't wait to get it in that box and put it on my board. I didn't realize what a cool tool a comp could be. I had a DOD comp that was decent for sustain, but that thing was a go-cart compared to this Cadillac.

• Members

I figured since I've never really tried a comp in a rig (although I do sometimes apply compression to tracks when recording) it would be alright to start with a simple 2 knob pedal hence the Dyna Comp.

Edit: but if I had the skilllllz I'd build a nice one.

• Members

For a real nice, simple compressor the Guyatone ST-2 can't be beat. About $70.00, small footprint and such an enhancement to my tone. I didn't think I would notice it much and a compressor was about the last type of pedal I bought but it is one of 2 that are now always on (MXR EQ as well).

Archived