OT - Best News Ive Heard All Year!!! Chilli Peppers Content

Kid_A

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm actually bummed! If you have only listened to the past two albums then you are not doing them justice. They ROCKED back in the blood sugar day. Granted Anthony isn't the greatest singer in the world, but his style fits the music, and the band is tight as hell. I'm gonna miss them.

• Members

That was the good stuff. Their first few albums had a ton of soul. They shot their collective creative load on BSSM. They wanted to become bigger than the Rolling Stones, which is why they became teh suck.

Yep. And Anthony's voice really did suit the songs on BSSM; I don't get why you people think he has such a crappy voice just because it is not always pitch-perfect and neutral-toned... His voice is "odd", just like the singer for Modest Mouse, Rage against the Machine, and many other popular bands. I agree that Stadium Arcadium (which came out in 2006, by the way) was not up to par, it was way too generic. I don't understand people who call By the Way a crap album... it's a different style from BSSM and One Hot Minute (which was really random anyway). Californication (1998) was their more "pop-rock-funk" album, and By the Way (2001) was "experimental effects rock" aside from the singles such as the title track. If you have only ever heard the song By the Way, I strongly suggest you listen to the other, less-well-known tracks on the album, as they are interesting musically. They are very transitional, and good stuff.

Most of all, I think it's really stupid that people are saying they should get back together without Anthony Keidis. He started the band with Flea... whether you like it or not, he is an integral part of the songwriting process. I really hope that what they produce after they get back together has better lyrics and music, but I'm not writing them off right now.

• Members

Yep. And Anthony's voice really did suit the songs on BSSM; I don't get why you people think he has such a crappy voice just because it is not always pitch-perfect and neutral-toned... His voice is "odd", just like the singer for Modest Mouse, Rage against the Machine, and many other popular bands.

That's the thing though, his voice is interesting to people who are interested in hearing it.

I like it, I can see why others don't.

• Members

Most of all, I think it's really stupid that people are saying they should get back together without Anthony Keidis. He started the band with Flea... whether you like it or not, he is an integral part of the songwriting process. I
really hope
that what they produce after they get back together has better lyrics and music, but I'm not writing them off right now.

I think it is because people appreciate the musicianship of the other 3 and don't like what it is used to create in the context of the rhcp, so they are talking about a band without the ideas/vocals of kiedis, i.e. not the rhcp song writing process :idk:

• Members

so the story goes:

during a couple european tours he said he wouldnt play certain places if mr bungle was on the bill .. he didnt want two ' california punk funk' groups together or whatever ...so mr bungle was kicked off the tours .. ever since ive never view those guys the same

Actually, he was way more direct than that. He accused Patton of blatantly stealing his "style" and then trashed them multiple times in the press after getting them kicked off of Euro festivals. It got worse after Bungle dressed up as RHCP for Halloween and pretended to shoot up heroin on stage.

• Members

Actually, he was way more direct than that. He accused Patton of blatantly stealing his "style" and then trashed them multiple times in the press after getting them kicked off of Euro festivals. It got worse after Bungle dressed up as RHCP for Halloween and pretended to shoot up heroin on stage.

Sounds classy from both ends!

• Members

albeit that stadium arcadium wasnt that great, I still think that their catalog as a whole is one of the best and most dynamic in the modern era of rock.

you guys dont respect them because either
A. you are too young to have heard / appreciate their first 4 albums OR
B. because you dont appreciate music that is meant to BE FUN

yeah yeah, california themes aside, they are a terrific band, very good live, etc. sorry to those at leeds that didnt like their set. god forbid they play the music THEY want to make. if you just want certain songs, go buy a greatest hits and STFU

• Members

Patton stole his 'style'? Ha ha ha, kiedis dreams of being fit to clean patton's boots!!!

• Members

Patton stole his 'style'? Ha ha ha, kiedis dreams of being fit to clean patton's boots!!!

even though i like patton's more experimental stuff.. i have to admit that mr. bungle - california is a perfect pop album.

rhcp has written the same song 30+ times and mike patton has made music that fits in many genres. funny stuff.

• Members

nah...i remember those early records. blood sugar was played a lot by me for years after it came out. i just don't like them now. i was working at a camelot music when californication came out and it got played in there all the time. that song still makes me shudder. i just don't like what they've done since one hot minute. and yeah i'll give them one hot minute, i thought navarro added a cool vibe for them.

really though i stopped listening once californication came out and what i have heard has had the same qualities that i didn't like about it so i have not felt the need to listen anymore.

• Members

albeit that stadium arcadium wasnt that great, I still think that their catalog as a whole is one of the best and most dynamic in the modern era of rock.

yeah yeah, california themes aside, they are a terrific band, very good live, etc. sorry to those at leeds that didnt like their set. god forbid they play the music THEY want to make. if you just want certain songs, go buy a greatest hits and STFU

i thought BSSM was a good record when i was about 14, but i grew out of it...

• Members
As much as Anthony gets on my nerves, I cannot and will not deny that they put on a great show, and seeing them live in 2003 was worth every penny. John, Chad, and Flea are top notch musicians with real chemistry. The only tighter band I've seen was Rush.

Mentioning Rush only weakens your argument :)

• Members

hahaha! well its good that they are on a break now cause if hear one more RHCP song on the radio.... :mad: .....maybe fruciante will do more of his solo {censored} and redo smiles from the streets that hold you like he's been talking about for years....wont be the same without River Pheonix tho...
not by far

whatever...

• Members

nah...i remember those early records. blood sugar was played a lot by me for years after it came out. i just don't like them now. i was working at a camelot music when californication came out and it got played in there all the time. that song still makes me shudder. i just don't like what they've done since one hot minute. and yeah i'll give them one hot minute, i thought navarro added a cool vibe for them.

really though i stopped listening once californication came out and what i have heard has had the same qualities that i didn't like about it so i have not felt the need to listen anymore.

see, you dont know the first albums.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Freaky Styley, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk.

and OHM sucked

• Members

see, you dont know the first albums.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Freaky Styley, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk.

and OHM sucked

+1. Those are 4 of the 5 best RHCP albums, with BSSM being the fifth. And OHM sucked.

• Members

I really hope this means more John Frusciante solo albums.

I also hope that when they reform, they "forget" to invite Anthony. His vocals and lyrics hold the band back in a big way. Not to mention he's a far cry from the best singer in the band.

Yes to the John solo albums! I agree about Anthony's lyrics, but this one is similar to my thoughts about Bono. He sounds like the fusion of a cheesegrater, a large bag filled with stones and broken glass, and a toothless old man these days (IMO). Edge on the other hand, has a fantastic voice, but U2 wouldn't be U2 without him. JF could do vocals, but RHCP wouldn't be the same without AK, IMHO.

Archived