Uni-vibe experts - what exactly is this?

tom_s252

• Members

no feedback?

who cares what it is, unless you can collect....

Remember, if it doesn't say Z.Vex Effects, it might still be!

All Z.Vex Effects are clearly marked "Z.Vex Effects" on the bottom. If a power plate has been used, and the original bottom plate has been removed, units made in the last 6 or 7 years are clearly marked "Z.Vex Effects" under the battery area, in the cast enclosure.

So unless the unit is very old and the original bottom plate has been lost, the following is always true:

• Members

Hijacked!

Right, now I've made a tit of myself by querying something that is evidently a current product after all, any opinions on whether it's desirable, any good etc?

Failing that, the reason I'm trawling eBay for vibe-type things is because I'm after a cheap-ish one. Suggestions welcome, including opinions on the new Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe.

T3, I changed your sig line. Calling someone names and provoking them via your sig line really isn't cool. While you're entitled to your POV regarding me or any other forumite, trolling isn't allowed, and that sig crossed the line.

Please pick something less antagonistic for your next sig. Thanks. :)

I don't think the cool cat vibe is out yet. I have a feeling you're not the only one waiting for that pedal.

I don't think they're actually officially shipping yet, but I don't think it will be much longer. I was asked a while back if I'd be interested in checking out a few of the new Cool Cat effects (as were a couple of other forum members), and received a few of them a couple of days ago - the Drive, Fuzz and Vibe. I'll let you all know what I think after I have had a chance to put them through their paces a bit more, but here's a couple of initial comments about the vibe:

First of all, the cases are larger than the old mini pedal line by a half inch or so in both length and width, placing them more into Boss / Ibanez sized territory.

The knobs, as you can see in the pics at www.coolcattone.com are rear mounted. I'm not a huge fan of side / rear mounted controls, but you do get used to them after you use them a bit, and some people may not find that control arrangement as annoying as I do, so we'll chock that up to personal preference.

The cases are indeed metal, and the bottom plate is now mounted via four screws - bike chain link mounting should be possible with the new series of Danos.

Opening up the cases reveals that the switches are indeed 3PDT as advertised. The switch is actually directly soldered to a small PCB with the traces corresponding to the proper switch terminals and that small PCB is connected to the rest of the pedal via wires that are terminated with small molex plugs rather than being directly soldered. This should make maintenance (and possible rehousing?) a bit easier, although the possibility for them to become accidentally disconnected in shipping and transport may be a bit greater... but again, I see no evidence of any loose connections, so I doubt this will be a issue most of the time.

The rear mounted I/O jacks are much more widely spaced on the Cool Cats than on the mini Danelectro pedals - a welcome change, because it will allow for a wider variety of straight or right angle plugs to be used without them interfering with the adjacent plugs / power plug. Power is via a internal battery or 9V 2.1mm ("Boss style) power plugs. The I/O jacks are metal on the exterior, and mounted directly to the case as advertised, but plastic framed internally, and those are soldered directly to a small PCB that also appears to have the 9V power jack and possibly the three controls mounted to it. IOW, we get the benefit of a case mounted jack, but the hand soldering involved with open frame jacks is eliminated in production.

Unlike the Chicken Salad, the CC Vibe has three controls - speed, intensity AND mix. The mix knob allows you to blend in more or less of the effect, and is a nice addition.

The circuit appears to be optically based, as is the Chicken Salad. I have not completely disassembled the pedal yet, so stay tuned for more details on that. I also should note that I have not run into any internal trim pots yet, but again, I have not torn the whole thing apart yet, and there's at least two or three internal PCB's, so there may be one lurking on the underside of a board and I have not seen it yet.

I've only had a moment to play it, but my initial thought it that it's as least as good as the Chicken Salad sonically, probably a bit thicker and more syrupy sounding. As I mentioned, the mix knob is a nice addition and adds to the versatility of the pedal. Since I also have a Chicken Salad, I'm going to try to do a few clips with each and post those, but along with the rest of the review, that's going to have to wait a few days.... :o

Phil, you are a legend, both for your disciplinary activities and your remarkably detailed preview of the vibe. Many thanks, and I await further opinions with bated breath
:D

Thanks. :o

I went ahead and started a new thread and I'll post a link to it in here shortly - my laptop battery is about to die. :freak:

• Members

It's not Dunlop (as the auction states) as far as I can see, it's too old for that. How old is it, and is it any good?

Thanks

ech.. don't bother with it.. not a real vibe. does an exaggerated 3-d phase andpitch vibrato but does suck in your tone a fair bit.

• Members

Back to the original question - the Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo Chorus is a stereo chorus pedal, NOT a Uni-Vibe pedal.

Dunlop bought the rights to the name "Univibe" and use it however they want, in this case inaccurately.

It's a decent chorus, but there are better ones.

• Members
Back to the original question - the Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo Chorus is a stereo chorus pedal, NOT a Uni-Vibe pedal.

Dunlop bought the rights to the name "Univibe" and use it however they want, in this case inaccurately.

It's a decent chorus, but there are better ones.

its not really a chorus though. its much more of a phaser sound.. swooshy rather than shimmery.. :confused:

Archived