Other tones from Moog Ring Mod?

• Members

Well, I've been looking at the ring mod for awhile now. Just wondering if anyone has any clips or videos of the ring mod, but getting other tones than that classic "ring modulator" sound? There's a few clips on the Moog site of it getting some pretty nice sounds that don't really sound like a ring modulator type of sound, and those are the ones that interest me. I wouldn't really be using this pedal for those ring mod sounds, and I already have a tremolo, which I heard this pedal is good for, so I'm just curious to see what else this pedal can do that would still interest me.

Thanks

• Members

Why would you get a ring mod if you don't want to do ring mod sounds or tremolo with it?

That's like saying, "hey, I'm really interested in the big muff, but I already have a fuzz and I'm wondering what other tones it can do."

Although ring mod is more flexible than fuzz. If you get a ring mod, not everything you play through it has to sound like Mechanical Man by DEVO. You can play with the controls and play your guitar in different ways to get it to do what you want.

• Members

Why would you get a ring mod if you don't want to do ring mod sounds or tremolo with it?

That's like saying, "hey, I'm really interested in the big muff, but I already have a fuzz and I'm wondering what other tones it can do."

Although ring mod is more flexible than fuzz. If you get a ring mod, not everything you play through it has to sound like Mechanical Man by DEVO. You can play with the controls and play your guitar in different ways to get it to do what you want.

Well, I like the sounds on the Moog site that aren't ring mod sounds...and because of that, I have interest in the pedal. Though I haven't seen any videos or clips anywhere else that have gotten close to those sounds, which is why I'm curious to hear more of what it can do.

• Members

Kind of in the "rock chord with mf-102", but mostly the one with the lfo with the ring mod. I also hear tons of people commenting that this pedal can do so many weird varied sounds, and I kind of figure they're not all talking about just ring mod sounds, and I wouldn't say that a tremolo is that "weird".

• Members

Kind of in the "rock chord with mf-102", but mostly the one with the lfo with the ring mod. I also hear tons of people commenting that this pedal can do so many weird varied sounds, and I kind of figure they're not all talking about just ring mod sounds, and I wouldn't say that a tremolo is that "weird".

both those sounds are the LFO plus {censored}ing with knobs. Not really playing straight into it with one setting. The ring modulator has a VCO and a square/sine LFO in it, so {censored}ing with knobs you can get a bunch of cool synth and theremin type sounds.

But if you're just playing straight into it, you're not going to get much more than ring mod and tremolo sounds.

If you use ring mods creatively or use the mix control right, you can get a wide variety of sounds, but they all are Ring mod sounds.

Archived