1965 Gibson J45

mrweems

• Members

Some of those have an adjustible bridge (which in the context of acoustics is not a good thing) so check for that. Not a deal breaker for me but it's one of the very, very few changes I would make to any vintage Gibson. A lot of them also have a really skinny neck (which I personally don't like but that's just me ... it might be perfect for you). Gotta love a vintage Gibson!

• Members

Some of those have an adjustible bridge (which in the context of acoustics is not a good thing) so check for that. Not a deal breaker for me but it's one of the very, very few changes I would make to any vintage Gibson. A lot of them also have a really skinny neck (which I personally don't like but that's just me ... it might be perfect for you). Gotta love a vintage Gibson!

I have heard about that on the bridge. When did they start doing that?

Also, the neck is my favorite part. I've played several J45's.

2x 50's era

1x late 60's

2x RI's (blew ass)

My favorite acoustic ever. The earlier 50's model i played was so badass. It was worn in, all stock. Neck was amazing. Finish was beautiful...

Only problem.. I didn't have $2500 at the time..

Now i'd regret to know what they are going for.

• Members

I have a '65 J-50 that I love to death. It was my dad's (he died when i was 8). It was the guitar I learned to play on. If ever my house were on fire and could run in to save one thing it would be it.

Mine has the adjustable bridge and tone wise it wasn't really bad imo. I eventually removed the adjustment hardware and put some wood strips under the saddle to make it a fixed bridge. The hardware had pretty much given out. I plan on just getting a new bridge glued on eventually.

Depending on condition $2500 seems about right for a '65 J45/50.

• Members

The 50's eras are now up into the $4-5K range if they are in good shape. I'm pretty sure the adjustible bridges were standard by '65. If you played all those didn't you notice how the neck size shrunk over time? I love those old, thick 50's Gibson necks!

Anyway, here's my collection. The one on the far left is a '54 SJN that was totally screwed over by a previous owner (he replaced pretty much every part except the body and bracing ... badly). I'm gonna get that one straight one of these days.

P4130046.jpg

• Members

No i didn't notcie the adjustable bridge.

keep in mind this is over 3 years of searching. And 2 of said were from the same shop being from the 50's. That was about 2 years ago.

I'm 21 now.. So i was pretty stupid back then. didn't really have a clue what i was doing.. Now. I know almost exactly what i want.

OH and yeah, the shop guy said over the phone... "$3,000"

And i'm like.... "no"

• Members

I had a '64 I traded for a Martin about a year ago. The neck was just too slim for my big hands, but the tone was incredible. I had the bridge replaced so I could put an undersaddle pickup in it. And the intonation up and down the neck was so much better.

• Members

i searched for a j-45 for a while as well. all the ones i wanted were in the $3K to $5K range. i ultimately had to settle on a new one from boseman. for the most part they're all pretty good--but you kind of have to sift through til you find the One. i got mine on sale at gaytar center for like $1400, which seemed like a pretty good deal. it's pretty much the only acoustic guitar i'm remotely interested in (except for archtops).

• Members

i searched for a j-45 for a while as well. all the ones i wanted were in the $3K to $5K range. i ultimately had to settle on a new one from boseman. for the most part they're all pretty good--but you kind of have to sift through til you find the One. i got mine on sale at gaytar center for like $1400, which seemed like a pretty good deal. it's pretty much the only acoustic guitar i'm remotely interested in (except for archtops).

So you got a RI?

Are those a dime a dozen? The 2 that i have played have been complete grossness.

• Members

I've played a ton of the new Bozeman slopes and they are definitely a mix in terms of quality and sound, IMO. Some of them are outstanding and some just sound dead. I have played a few new J45's that were magnificent, though. The Advanced Jumbos seem the most consistent to me but maybe that's just the rosewood talking.

• Members

yeah, it's a RI--but yeah, they're kind of spotty. some were great, others not so much.

same with the advanced jumbo it seems. i played one that was {censored}ing great and another that seemed just ok.

so like i say, if you go the RI route you'll need to sift through to find a great one. that said--if you go the vintage route, you'll need to sift through those as well. i saw alot of $2500 j-45's with cracks/bows/warping/etc.

• Members

nice-

the good AJ i played was seriously {censored}ing amazing. i wanted it so bad, but it was like $1900 and i had to scratch and claw to justify the $1400 (sale) on my j-45.

I bet it was worth it.

BY the way. PM.

• Members

Dude I am such a nerd for this {censored} ... waaaay worse than pedals. The guitar 2nd from the right in the pic I posted ^ is a '98 WM-00 ... great small body guitar. All those WM models were a freakin' steal for what they were. They were just as good as the higher priced models (and sometimes better).

• Members

yeah the AJ just booms. didn't they nickname that guitar like the 'bonecrusher' or something because it's so loud?

also, i lied. i am interested in another acoustic--gibson B-25 (?). friend has a vintage one and it's the perfect smaller scale acoustic.

• Members

yeah the AJ just booms. didn't they nickname that guitar like the 'bonecrusher' or something because it's so loud?

also, i lied. i am interested in another acoustic--gibson B-25 (?). friend has a vintage one and it's the perfect smaller scale acoustic.

Yeah because it was the only guitar that could compete with the herringbone Martin D-28's at the bluegrass festivals. The 30's models are soooooo high now ... I think they go for > $50K sometimes if they are in good condition. There were supposedly 300 or so made.

Archived