Joining metal band,need new pedal!HELP!?

• Members

I am trying out for the lead guitarist of a metal band soon. According to what the singer has told me they are going for a Killswitch Engage/Protest the Hero type sound. At the moment all I had laying around was my old MT-2:rawk::poke:

So.....obviously I am not too happy with it and am seeking some guidance.

I need a pedal to bring the heavy and quick! What pedals can you forumites recommend me?

Thanks in advance :D

• Members

Maybe a Zvex Box of Metal? It's really hard to get a great (imo) metal sound out of a pedal in a lot of situations, especially for live use... If you end up spending very much at all, you might as well get a second amp. I'd recommend picking up a 5150 combo, or head if you already have a nice 2/4X12 closed back cab to set it on. You can pick up the combos on the 'bay for $400-$500.

• Members

Metal?

I suggest getting a cheap solid state half stack and cranking up the gain on the lead channel and get a boss ns-2. Metal imo isnt really about tone, just loud gain, and the ns-2 will prevent awful squeel. It's just metal. {censored} it.

• Members

Metal?

I suggest getting a cheap solid state half stack and cranking up the gain on the lead channel and get a boss ns-2. Metal imo isnt really about tone, just loud gain, and the ns-2 will prevent awful squeel. It's just metal. {censored} it.

Have you heard any of the bands he's mentioned. They've both got pretty stellar tone, but they're not what I would call metal.

• Members

i don't know anything about your amp, but if it has a master volume, i'd set the amp gain high and get a clean boost to hit it harder until the gain is right where you want it. most of these other suggestions are gonna sound like ass.

and theinTIMidator, protest the hero has HORRIBLE tone!!! i know it's subjective and whatnot, but god is it thin and gross sounding!

• Members

Metal?

I suggest getting a cheap solid state half stack and cranking up the gain on the lead channel and get a boss ns-2.
Metal imo isnt really about tone
, just loud gain, and the ns-2 will prevent awful squeel. It's just metal. {censored} it.

Post this in the amp forum and be prepared to be eaten alive.

• Members

If you really want metal, you really need a high gain amp, but if you just want to get in the realm get an EHX Metal Muff, or a Boss Metalcore, and definitely need a noise gate/suppressor.

And it is very difficult to get a great Metal tone, you don't just turn everything up to ten, that is why 90% of metal sounds like ass.

• Members

Metal?

I suggest getting a cheap solid state half stack and cranking up the gain on the lead channel and get a boss ns-2. Metal imo isnt really about tone, just

loud gain, and the ns-2 will prevent awful squeel. It's just metal. {censored}

it.

Horrible advice. How can you state that metal has no tone and its all about gain. This proves that you have absolutely no idea what your talking about.

Metal, like any other guitar art form is all about tone. The key to a great metal tone is not to have that much gain going and dont scoop the mids that much. If you want a metal type pedal, there are many out there. These are the ones I would suggest:

1. Fulltone Gt 500

2. Zoom Tri Metal

3. MXR DoubleShot Distortion

4. Mesa Boogie V Twin

You migh wanna use an Eq after your gain to further control and shape your tone.

So go tell Eric Peterson, James Hetfield, Tony Iommi, Gary Holt, Scott Ian, Kerry King, Alex Skolnick, Jeff Hamennan, Dave Mustain, Jeff Waters and any other metal guitarist that they have no tone for all they need is gain. Good Luck.

• Members

Don't get a pedal at all. That Hiwatt amp of yours ain't gonna cut it no matter what pedal you get. Sorry, but no matter what anyone tells you, you need a high gain amp with a 4-12 cab that can handle the downtuned lows the music your playing can handle. With your current rig, no matter what pedal you use, will crap out on you and sound like a fart. Your going to fail. That pedal the dude posted on youtube (i can't remember the name) was playing in standard tuning. Tuning down to C will make everything turn to mush. Keep that in mind.

Archived