Recommend me a telecaster!!!

AcheWater

• Members
l_f60c862a3f75eaaee87b6e87b7030523.jpg

+1 on the HWY1. I was thinking of getting a Baja, but the colors just weren't my style. I've already got some wear on the thin finish, which is a plus in my book. The pickups sound GREAT with distortion, especially my Rat.

It's cheap enough so you can fix it up with your own parts.

On this one I added the Bigsby (pretty easy, neck had to be shimmed though), locking tuners, graphtech saddles, pickguard and I'm going to have someone install a 4 way switch next month (to run the pickups in series).

• Members

+1 on the HWY1. I was thinking of getting a Baja, but the colors just weren't my style. I've already got some wear on the thin finish, which is a plus in my book. The pickups sound GREAT with distortion, especially my Rat.

On this one I added the Bigsby (pretty easy, neck had to be shimmed though), locking tuners, graphtech saddles, pickguard and I'm going to have someone install a 4 way switch next month (to run the pickups in series).

I found the highway one tele pups to be very very sweet-sounding as opposed to the more raunchy flavor of the Texas Specials in my telecaster. Great-sounding guitars on all front though and a really good buy most of the time.

Seriously, BUY USED. I got my '97 american tele for about $420 out the door at guitar center...nobody wanted it apparently. Their loss. You can find some GREAT deals for used american and hwy 1 teles on the evilbay. You just have to be patient.

• Members

that looks rad.

• Members
  • Members

Almost forgot, what really sold me as the "greasebucket" tone circuit. I have it rolled off to half for rhythm and all the way up for leads.

I'm eventually going to have the guy that does the wiring on the 4 way switch also reverse the control plate and put the tone knob first. I don't switch pickups mid song.

• Members

First off, don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy a humbucker tele. Sure, you can do it, but it's not going to be that telecaster sound that's so desirable.

The HWY1 really is a pretty sweet deal. Great bridge pickup, neck plays as well as any american standard or deluxe I've picked up, the nitro finish really lets the guitar resonate, and that greasebucket tone pot is for real.

The mexi is my backup and it plays well-enough to serve that purpose, but the neck is a little 'clunky' and the pickups are a bit on the thin side. I might do some work to it one day, but it's just not a priority right now...

• Members
If you can find a late 90's / 98-99 / ash , with maple neck and put some vintage noiselesss' in it , you'll never look back , imo . It can cover just about any style of country / rock / metal ... Viola .

tele10-02-07.jpg

Metal with a Tele?
I can see rock and country... not metal.

Nice tele!

• Members

I've got an '87 ASAT, which is an amazingly versatile guitar. ASATs really are a bargain, but they're not quite traditional Teles.

For the classic Tele sound you need the ash body/maple neck combo. I recently got a MIJ E-series Tele and I'm very impressed with it.

• Members

Here's a pic of my Highway 1 Tele. I love the color of this (2003 model) much more so than the recent hue they're using. I just changed the pickguard to black instead of white, looks much better imo.
004-7.jpg

Archived