Recommend me a telecaster!!!

AcheWater

• Members

Yeah man, I've got one of the 72 Reissue Teles and I love it, I'm thinking about selling it though. It sounds great and I'd recommend that one, but if you're going for a traditional single coil Tele sound I'd go with a MIM Tele and just mod the crap out of it. I've been eyeballing one and thinking about putting the SCN pickups in it.

• Members

Yeah man, I've got one of the 72 Reissue Teles and I love it, I'm thinking about selling it though. It sounds great and I'd recommend that one, but if you're going for a traditional single coil Tele sound I'd go with a MIM Tele and just mod the crap out of it. I've been eyeballing one and thinking about putting the SCN pickups in it.

As far as modding, I'm guessing all electronics and pots need to be changed. That's pretty standard for foreign items.

How does the HH alter the sound compared to the single coils. Does it even sound like a telecaster anymore...or is it a different beast all together?

• Members

As far as modding, I'm guessing all electronics and pots need to be changed. That's pretty standard for foreign items.

How does the HH alter the sound compared to the single coils. Does it even sound like a telecaster anymore...or is it a different beast all together?

Even the American Deluxe has "noise-canceling" pickups which I personally feel cuts tone. Humbuckers will give you a fatter, less twangy sound. Classic tele sound is 2 single coils, a la AS, AD, or reissues.

• Members

I've never played one,but aren't the G&Ls supposed to be better than most of the Fenders?

So tell me more about the hIghway one. See that's what I'm talking about. so many variations...I need to know the difference between all of them.

• Members

I got a nice 2003 Highway 1 Tele. Love it. I'll post a pic tomorrow, going to bed soon. Just got a new pickguard on it, and the pickups raised too, which helps. Lovely tones from it. Only other mod I've done is to add brass saddles to it. I was going to route out the neck pup and put a mini hum in it, but my luthier convinced me otherwise. Saved me a bunch of money too. If you want a traditional Tele, this is fairly close, without spending a lot more for a '52 reissue or $15k for a vintage model. Does have a more modern neck feel to it, whereas the '52 has the smaller neck radius. Personally I think the H1 offers the best of both worlds. But the Baja is sweet too, and I wouldn't hesitate getting one, although I like the feel and look of mine a little bit more.

• Members

I've never played one,but aren't the G&Ls supposed to be better than most of the Fenders?

I have never played a Tele (including my aunt's boyfriend's vintage late 50s tele) that felt and sounded better than my ASAT.

• Members
I have never played a Tele (including my aunt's boyfriend's vintage late 50s tele) that felt and sounded better than my ASAT.

Not speaking from ANY experience, but from what I've seen, read, and heard, ASAT is the way to go. Death Cab for Cutie rocks some and sounded awesome both times I saw them. Of course, the Dr. Z's didn't hurt ;)

• Members

The Baja is the best sounding and feeling Tele I've ever played. It has so many tonal options with the 4 way and S-1 switching system. Forget that it's MIM, it's the best Tele deal out there right now IMO.

If I could buy an American Standard for the same price as the Baja, I'd still buy the Baja.

Archived