Killer, violin=-like sustain. How to get it? How does Carlos?

surferbeto

• Members

OK, I'm on a mission to produce singing, violin-like sustain.

It has been suggested that some combination of heavy compression and a Big Muff will get me there. Are some compressors better for infinite sustain than others? I have a CMATMOD 2-knob compressor. Maybe I need one with more knobs to separate the attack and sustain behavior?

A Strat with Kinman Woodstock+ pups, a Les Paul copy, a Rick 330 copy are my axes. I'm playing through a Crate V8, and a Fender SuperSonic 1x12. I'd say psychedelic blues-based rock and cranked-up, re-animated ancient-modern roots rock is the general territory I'm heading for. I know that $2K for a real Les Paul would buy me some more sustain, but I'm on a budget here. I'd like to keep it to stompboxes, but might consider a rack-mounted device if it were really da bomb.

How would you gear up to achieve infinite sustain nirvana, rock n roll brothers and sisters?

• Members

big muff + compression is spot on, I'd say. You don't need another compressor.. I've got a 2 knob and can get pretty dang long sustain.

If you wanna get crazy, do the Creamy Dreamer mod to the Muff. I just finished my 5 knob compressor. Can't wait to play those things together.

• Members
Uh ... he said he was looking for a stompbox that would give him singing, violin-like sustain. Furthermore, he mentioned getting a fuzz pedal. So I posed with a suggestion of the 200lbs -- which is designed to replicate an Eric Johnson-like singing, violin-like sustain. How is that not on the OP's point?

It's funny because it's spammish.

• Members

It's funny because it's spammish.

I guess .... but it's not like I said "BUY MY PEDAL!!" or something -- I was simply recommending a pedal that I have experience with and thought could fix his situation. (Truth be told, it's not definite yet, but I've already got a trade working for the 200lbs.) This thing sustains for hours.

• Members

I've got an Epi LP that I had stripped, replacing all wiring pots, etc. and put a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck in the bridge and a SD PAF II in the neck. When I plug it into my silverface Deluxe Reverb through an OCD it will sustain as long as I hold the string, f'ing beautiful honey-dripping tone.

But I'd imagine the cheapest/best way would be to grab an Ebow as suggested. That will give you sustain pretty much without regard for any of the rest of your equipment.

• Members

Gee, I haven't tried messing with my tone knobs. I pretty much leave them on 10 all the time, since everything sounds flat and muffled when I use them otherwise. But the Muff will add back some fuzzy high end frequencies. And my vibrato is already pretty much up to snuff.

All right, I'll try it and report back! Comp before fuzz, right?

step 1: tone knob all the way down

step 2: dyna comp

step 3: fuzz pedal (muff equivalent)

step 4: learn vibrato

step 5: mix all ingredients

instant santana

• Members

volume.

you could also try a fernandes sustainer.

mAN OH MAN! That's pretty wild and crazy. Check out the videos:

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/susvideo.html

This wild thang seems basically like a built-in , on-board Ebow. LIke descritpions I've read of Edge and Daniel Lanois' Infinite Guitars. Anyone out there in infinite-sustain-land own and play one of these units?

Wowie zowie! But I like my bridge pickups!

Archived