OT Okay, this is just annoying.

• Members

I haven't posted any political stuff in this forum for a long time, but this is just too annoying to pass up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/13/ready-to-laugh-at-mccain_n_107008.html

We have a presidential candidate whose family has an AmEx account with zero percent interest for 6 to 9 months at a time? And this guy gets to vote on bills that affect credit card rates, penalties, and bankruptcy law?

Can anyone say conflict of interest?

How many other high-level politicians have these 0% interest cards???

Wanna guess why they don't like revealing their financial data during campaigns?

• Members

I haven't posted any political stuff in this forum for a long time, but this is just too annoying to pass up.

We have a presidential candidate whose family has an AmEx account with zero percent interest for 6 to 9 months at a time? And this guy gets to vote on bills that affect credit card rates, penalties, and bankruptcy law?

Can anyone say conflict of
interest
?

How many other high-level politicians have these 0% interest cards???

Wanna guess why they don't like revealing their financial data during campaigns?

Uh, Zack,I have to politely disagree with your mild discontent with someone having low credit card interest. I work for a major bank and Im in the crediting department. It is not uncommon for people whom are consistently on time with their payments and have high FICO scores to be offered differing and lowered interest.

Its how we keep "good" clientele around and possibly sell them on getting more business with them (meaning more lines of credit, mortgages, their business accounts etc.)

Also - for everyone - if you have been on time with your credit card for 6 to 12 months in a row (depending on your provider) simply CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE and ASK (not demand) to see if you are eligible for a rate drop. we do it all the time and so do the major competitors.

Zack as a small business owner Im surprised that YOU were surprised about this type of stuff going on.

• Members

I find it disconcerting that this is newsworthy by the way.

There are a lot better ways to bash McCain than worrying about if AmEx wants to keep him as a client by offering him a good deal. Why not cite his flip flopping? Or his war policies?

Also its AMEX. They do a lot of weird interest stuff as many of their products have an obsene annual fee.

• Members

Uh, Zack,I have to politely disagree with your mild discontent with someone having low credit card interest. I work for a major bank and Im in the crediting department. It is not uncommon for people whom are consistently on time with their payments and have high FICO scores to be offered differing and lowered interest.

Its how we keep "good" clientele around and possibly sell them on getting more business with them (meaning more lines of credit, mortgages, their business accounts etc.)

Also - for everyone - if you have been on time with your credit card for 6 to 12 months in a row (depending on your provider) simply CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE and ASK (not demand) to see if you are eligible for a rate drop. we do it all the time and so do the major competitors.

Zack as a small business owner Im surprised that YOU were surprised about this type of stuff going on.

You seem to have missed my very clear point.

Politicians should not be allowed to benefit in a dramatically different way from normal people when it comes to financial deals, especially credit cards, which are destroying the lives of so many Americans. We're talking about a quarter million dollars at zero percent interest and zero penalties (not "low interest" like you said) with virtually no end to the number of months they can go without paying.

• Members

what is the point of your post?

Are you disputing my points? What are you arguing?

The term "newsworthy" lost its impact years ago. They publish all sorts of {censored} as news, so why should this be disconcerting?

• Members

You seem to have missed my very clear point.

Politicians should not be allowed to benefit in a dramatically different way from normal people when it comes to financial deals, especially credit cards, which are destroying the lives of so many Americans. We're talking about a quarter million dollars at
zero
percent interest and
zero
penalties (not "low interest" like you said) with virtually no end to the number of months they can go without paying.

I agree w/ the first part of this statement and that politicians have to be monitored and held to a certain standard in instances of conflict of interest. However, to say that "Credit cards are destroying the lives of so many Americans..." Is a statement that really needs discussing.

Last time I checked, nobody is holding a gun to my head to use my credit card. Don't we learn at a very early age the basics of budgeting? Most people are in credit card crises because they CHOSE to live outside of their means. We have this ridiculous "entitled society" viewpoint where people think they deserve stuff "just because". I'm sorry, but if you make $40,000 a year, you do not "deserve" to live in a $300,000 house. How these people can be "tricked" into believing they can afford the mortgage on that house w/ their salary is beyond me.

But I digress, that's an extreme example. And yes, credit card companies need to be a little more cautious w/ who gets a credit card and stop luring college kids and people of lesser means into cards w/ ridiculous rates. But ultimately, IMHO, the individual is responsible for his/her behavior.

What sucks is, people like me, who play by the rules, are the ones paying for all this {censored}.

So I agree w/ Z about holding politicians to a different standard b/c of the possibilty of corruption, but at the same time, we need to stop taking the responsibilty of credit card debt off the individual. It is absolute BS when the media runs a story on "People being addicted to Credit Cards". That's like saying people are addicted to bottles and not alcohol. We need to understand WHY people go into credit card debt and NOT BLAME the credit cards.

• Members

Ah always about the money...
:p

Apparently McCain has unexplainable bursts of anger too, and he's a war veteran, so he'll make a great president to maintain peace in the world...

mccain.jpg

Isn't he adorable
:D

my hero! :lol:

not. looks like he'd have a good policy to try and get us out of debt.

• Members

my hero!
:lol:

not. looks like he'd have a good policy to try and get us out of debt.

Who is "us"?

You've heard McSame's latest battle cry, haven't you?

"Four more years! Four more years!"

Here's the real analysis of who is doing what with our money:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

my vote will still go to Ron Paul. I know he doesn't stand a chance because he isn't charasmatic and he doesn't look like a Hollywood movie star or come from a wealthy family or a circle of powerful friends. He is simply put just a regular guy that is smart.

• Members

Meh. There's a lot about McCain that sucks, and some things that might be questionable about his financial history. This story doesn't really grab me though. So some very rich people, who probably have a very good credit report, got a really good credit card that they don't need. Certainly not as newsworthy as, for example, John McCain's use of his wife's private jet, in which he pays her airline fares for its exclusive use. :lol:

• Members

Who is "us"?

You've heard McSame's latest battle cry, haven't you?

"Four more years! Four more years!"

"Us" is America. His personal finance seems to be a great indicator as to what his policies will be like.

Four more years might equate to my move to Canada. They have some good ideas (nationalized healthcare...)

Also, I thought Ron Paul dropped out.

• Members

That's a good video. I know who gets my vote. I know a lot of people won't support Obama's policy there, but it's definately needed. Needed much more than a "war." (I don't even know if you can call it a war anymore) But seriously, I don't know about the majority of people on this board, but I fall into that middle class and the amount of money Obama saves us yearly may not seem like much, but it adds up. I can attest to the fact every single dollar counts.

McCain's personal life reflects his policy on the tax relief and I'm definately not a fan of that.

• Members

This just in: wealthy investor types see McCain's tax cuts for the rich as "good for the economy." hahahaha

I love the way their understanding of the science of economics begins and ends with their investment portfolios. {censored}ing investment bankers.

I don't understand how this would be good for the economy. True, the rich would have more money to spend on things, but how would that benefit the people such as myself with realistic jobs and bills to pay?

• Members

I don't understand how this would be good for the economy. True, the rich would have more money to spend on things, but how would that benefit the people such as myself with realistic jobs and bills to pay?

You're supposed to cow to their superiority and not question it. After all, they are investment bankers. That means they know more than you.

Archived