the moog freqbox makes cool noises

mark7171

• Members

im really inspired by the noises the moog freq can make. it produces some great intro FM sequences. also fills out a meth industrial chorus-ite vision plater.

anybody else seeking the sounds of moog freq ?

freq freq...freq freq...wahhh

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm completely curious about this pedal. It sorta sounds like it could have been used in "Capital G" off Year Zero during the chorus. Either way I'm thinking with an expression pedal it may work really well as and underlying drone fading between guitar mix and Osc Mix. Add a bit crusher to add some confusion and continuity and I think I'd have a really cool sound on my hands. Or not....

Anyone tried it out? If you have tell me what you thought of it.

• Members

I ended up selling mine and buying the moog low pass filter, different pedals I know, but the low pass filter is much more usable IMO.

I'm really looking to get a pedal that (when combined and layered with other pedals, like bit crushers, sample reducers, and a good reverb) blurs the lines between guitars and synths.

Do have a general synopsis for it? What did you use it for? Mini review :)

• Members

I was just using it with dirt/fuzz pedals, delay + reverb. I wasnt 100% sure what I was getting myself into before I ordered it.

I'd had the ehx HOG before, and the Moog Ring mod and Phaser, but I was looking for a usable synth for the guitar. The Freqbox was not it. It made some cool sounds, squelchy squeels and bleeps, but I just couldn't find any usable sounds from it. Maybe a few sounds you could use on intros or for samples, but it was too $$ to keep for just that. Same reason I sold the HOG actually, eventhough the HOG was 100 times more usable than the Freqbox - different beast I know.

At the end of the day, I think the Freqbox would be better for a DJ than a guitarist.

• Members

neat, but I'd rather play guitar

Neat, I'd rather explore and be surprised. Along the way things happen that aren't useful, but the process is sort of what creativity (and music) is based on. The world has had enough petruccislashvanhalenectvaimatchama{censored}it guitarists I think we could use a couple more johnny greenwood, trent reznor, curious and experimental types. Sorta makes things, you know, progress....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, thanks for pointing this out. I've been playing this thing for the last week, as Slight Return was good enough to let me try it out before buying, and let me tell you - This thing RULES!

Yes, it's not standard, or even able to fit into most people's sounds. But I've personally been able to find endless weird variations that are completely usable for what I'm looking to do. I think alot of people missed the concept that this pedal should be a layer within your sound, to give it a sort of analog OSC character, to sort of blur the lines between synths and guitars. I've gotten etherial Orca type sounds with verb and delay, I've gotten insanely crunchy oscillator/guitar distortions (kinda like "Stigmata" from Ministry), I've gotten the whole gammot, from mellow and etherial to biting and aggresive. This is a highly underrated distortion box, and highly versatile loop/synth processor. Worth every penny, so thanks again for pointing it out CicadaSilence, I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise.

• Members

Yes, it's not standard, or even able to fit into most people's sounds. But I've personally been able to find endless weird variations that are completely usable for what I'm looking to do. I think alot of people missed the concept that this pedal should be a layer within your sound, to give it a sort of analog OSC character, to sort of blur the lines between synths and guitars.

100% with you, i think the issue is most people want to use it as a plug and play device and they gave up too earlier, but it has a learning curve on how to use it properly, wich is more to add textures/fill some sonic space on certain riffs, to create another dimension of the actual one. Try adding some filter after it, it really opens lots another dimension to the sound. It also sounds ubercool for those 8bitdistorted/atari sounds

For those on a budget try the subdecay noisebox or copilot orbit, wich can create some similar tones to the freqbox within a more affordable and small sizes units.

• Members

Worth every penny, so thanks again for pointing it out CicadaSilence, I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Sure thing. :thu: I've been really interested in the Freq Box, so it's good to hear your thoughts on it. Between this thread, and the Robot Factory filter thread, it seems that you and I have pretty similiar ideas about sound.

• Members

The easiest way any guitarist can play a Moog analog Oscillator is with the MF-107 FreqBox. We should all accept the space age beyond the stars approach to music composition and use a FreqBox to create a new sound! With the new Moog MP-201 programmable foot controller and it's 4 LFO's let you imagination run wild with those to together!

MF-Freqbox_web.jpg

• Members

dont have one but i like it.

imho,

although it's capable of many things,

as a stand alone pedal it's 'main thing' so to speak,

is Oscilator Hard Sync.

for 30+ years, hard sync has been the 'go to' patch

for any synth player wanting to enter the territory

of distorted rock guitar. (think jan hammer).

i think its brilliant that guitarists now have the option

of using the hard sync effect in the form of a pedal.

• Members

dont have one but i like it.

imho,

although it's capable of many things,

as a stand alone pedal it's 'main thing' so to speak,

is Oscilator Hard Sync.

for 30+ years, hard sync has been the 'go to' patch

for any synth player wanting to enter the territory

of distorted rock guitar. (think jan hammer).

i think its brilliant that guitarists now have the option

of using the hard sync effect in the form of a pedal.

Hell yes! That basically turns this into one of the most original distortion pedals I've ever heard. I'm going to add some filtering and downsampling into the chain along with this. Crazy amounts of possibilities....

Archived