queens of the stone age 3`s&7`s sound???

pissdrunx

• Members

I love the sound Josh has on that track...so how do I get as close to possible to it with my rig which is 2203 JCM 800, Gibson SG 2x12 cab. I also have a bad monkey but I don`t think it can help in this case. Muff overdrive maybe?

• Members

I saw them at a festival a week ago. Their live tone is amazing.

The key is a lot of mids. There was a lot of hype for a while about the parametric EQ pedal he's using.

He was using an Epiphone Dot for that particular song I think.

Oh and also, he's using Ampeg VT-22 combos.

• Members

yep, live sound is what I want...this will hount me until I don`t get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXe1GdrGIU

I know about the ampegs, but there ain`t many of them in EU, especialy Slovenia.

I also get it about the semi hollow...I have my heart set on this

Gear-Ibanez-ags83b_m.jpg

I hope I can get it by the end of the summer.

But in general...not with my rig right?

• Members

any hollowbody with light distortion is going to be pretty close.

the tones on that album are all over the place.

homme is one of those 'going to sound like him with any type of equipment' or 'his tone comes from his hands' type guitarists.

my suggest would be practicing.:)

• Members

hmm, theres one ampeg V2 on on sell localy. It`s priced about half what i could get fom my marshall...:poke:

What gauge strings should I be using fo C stadard tunig? I`m alredy at 11-54 for E an Eb! I triet tunig to C but it was way to floppy.

• Members

one of my favorite bands. his era vulgaris tone is all over the place. to me it sounds like some of it comes from dimed non-master volume tube amps. various fuzz pedals in there. hollow body guitars tuned to c. plus a lot of studio magic. his older tones seemed to have a ton of low mids.

• Members

Happy VT-22 owner here!
:wave:

It's all in the amp. Crank the mids and run it loud enough for it to start distorting, and you're there. But it's gonna be LOUD.
:eek:

Thats the key. Run as many mids as you can. The ampegs can really push the mids, especially with their rocker switch. A Dano Fish and chips would do with your marshall, you just gotta dial in the guitar and amp right. You can imitate it without getting the V2, it'll take some work though.

• Members

just got home for the weekend, and I`ve been messing with the setting for a while now. Best results were with everything on 10, guitar middle pickup position, it just needs some more grit. Tried boosting it with bad monkey, but it kinda lost the raw push...dunno, gonna mess with it some more later on, the neibghurs called a while back, said they have a visit, so if I woulk keep it down for a while.:):cop: and I live in a house!:p

P.S went to a guitar store today to look at some semis, and that ibanez 83 something that I posted in the doom room was there...:love: Awsome guitar!!!!!!

I can just see myself puting some 13`s on there and tuning it to C!;)

• Members

just got home for the weekend, and I`ve been messing with the setting for a while now. Best results were with everything on 10, guitar middle pickup position, it just needs some more grit. Tried boosting it with bad monkey, but it kinda lost the raw push...dunno, gonna mess with it some more later on, the neibghurs called a while back, said they have a visit, so if I woulk keep it down for a while.
:):cop:
and I live in a house!
:p

P.S went to a guitar store today to look at some semis, and that ibanez 83 something that I posted in the doom room was there...
:love:
Awsome guitar!!!!!!

I can just see myself puting some 13`s on there and tuning it to C!
;)

lol, I'm sure that ibanez would sound sweet detuned, definite lullabies tone :thu:

Keep {censored}ing with the marshall and pick up a cheap EQ, you'll fine it.

• 1 month later...

Archived