SOT: Cheap basses?

Crxsh

• Members

Thinking about picking up an inexpensive bass to learn on and to use for looping. Nothing too fancy, and something that'll hold up hopefully not sound like total {censored}.

Any suggestions?

Should probably be less than $200, but $100 or less would make it much easier to convince my wife I actually need it. Also, used isn't a problem at all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

vintage modified squier or a rondo bass is going to be the way to go

I used to gig with a brice douglas j-bass. It's natural, black binding, black block inlays, pickup covers, etc. I think there is an SX version now. It's not a great bass by any means but it definitely served it's purpose.

• Members

I'll look into the Rondo & Squier stuff. Come to think of it though, a buddy of mine has some cheap Epi bass.... anyone have anything to say about those?

(:lol: @ Netstar ... crxshbxard -- I dxg! :thu: And I replaced my MicroPOG w/ a Behringer Octave and get the same results. I just want an actual bass I think.)

• Members

yeah i have an sx bass i use for everything. it was decent stock, but throw a new bridge on there (i got mine from warmoth ~$25 IIRC) and it's a great bass.

IMG_2192.jpg

i did change more than the bridge here (it used to be a plain jazz bass) but that's what made the biggest difference.

• Members

I've owned Ibanez, and Yamaha in the past. My buds talked me into playing bass in our old band years ago. They played alright, but only satisfied the requirement for a bass in the band. I bought a Squier J-bass this Christmas and use it for recording in the bedroom. They were all entry level basses, and they played well, but I'd recommend saving a little and getting something better. I'm already thinking about upgrading the squier to a highway one. Why waste money now when you can wait and get something better. Is your birthday or any other "gift getting" events coming up soon?

• Members

If you can stretch your budget a bit further, find a used G&L tribute bass. The pickups and hardware are the same as the American made, $1200 G&L's.

that;s a good call, if you can be a little patient...

one word on the epi thunderbirds - good basses generally, but they only do one sound, and some people find them really uncomfortable, i wouldn't recommend it...

• Members

Hamer Slammer SB4 Short Scale Bass Guitar
Musician's friend for $140.

Made in indonesia, good build quality, plays like a guitar, (like a guitar with big fat strings)

I've had one for 5 years, love it.

Archived