Kit analysis - or - do I really need a Voyager?

Allerian

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd love to see a new knobby FM synth on the market. The FM machines in the Monomachine are great but something a little deeper would be deadly. The more I work with FM the more I prefer it to standard subtractive VA synthesis.

Theres no real reason why there shouldnt be, but it needs alot of knobs - a full free routing 6 op would need 42 knobs. And thats before you add filter knobs, env knobs, lfo knobs, matrix buttons and knobs etc etc.

• Members

If you using some of the classic mode harmonic waves then they are equiv to that you can acheive with a couple of operators on a normal FM synth I think, so effectively you get control of one op.

The Virus, including the TI, completely falls apart with FM up above C4-C5. Not aliasing, completely random sounds. Might be musically useful if you want them but the high-end FM stuff is off limits on the Virus. I fake it with ringmod instead.

Theres no real reason why there shouldnt be, but it needs alot of knobs - a full free routing 6 op would need 42 knobs. And thats before you add filter knobs, env knobs, lfo knobs, matrix buttons and knobs etc etc.

Yeah. I'm not sure what the UI would look like. I think 4-ops would be sufficient to get most of what FM offers, particularly if you could layer multiple patches somehow. If you dissect the FM7 patches, for instance, a lot of them look pretty hairy but are really essentially independent layers of two and three-op patches.

• Members

or there's always the option to commit some studio time to really, seriously getting to know the Voyager in-depth. All the Pot Mapping tricks you can do, all the programmable mod bus stuff, the programmable touch pad stuff, using it as a MIDI controller for less knobby synths... really woodshed on the Voyager and then see if you still feel like only using it for bass, or not using it too often... the plusses are, you'll have really learned a good synth in-depth, and you'll be much more certain of whether it's ultimately for you or not.

That's my two pesetas...

• Members
I'm using the software to transpose up FIVE octaves, not just the two you can do in hardware.

mwahMWAAHH:freak:

Fwiw, the Mono (my controller for the TI) will send a C8 with no adjustment, but also offers four octaves of transpose on the midi out, plus the two available on the TI panel. Harrrr! :thu:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I could see if you Really 'felt' the TI could do most of the bass your Voyager is. My initial reaction is totally biased because I love analog and couldn't sell the Voyager, which compliments and digital synth superbly, just because the TI can do bass.

Analog often stand out a lot more to me in a mix. Digital synths can be great, but I'm an analog whore and couldn't do it. The Voyager can just bring a song to the next level.

So, what was it that made you decide to keep the Voyager? Sometimes your ears can play tricks on you. So can our minds.

• Members
Update: Keep
:love:

Yay !! Glad to hear it.

I just got a shiny new electric blue myself and after spending a day and night with it so far, I would have a very hard time parting with it in the future. If you plug a BBE Sonic Stomp Exciter in the Filter In with an insert cable the patches come to an amazing brilliant life (a little trick I read about somewhere). For more fun I have sequenced the Voyager with the my Mobius and added some external delay effects and its instant grat for me !! Throw on some Virus Pads and some P'08 Leads, Arps, sequences or strangeness and I easlily get lost for a while. Fun Fun. Whover said the voyager is just an expensive bass synth needs to grab a handful of creativity.

Even though I really like my Ti especially for weird digital stuff, I disagree that you can make 99.xxx% of the patches the Voyager can with the Ti. Just not the same analog sound when played next to each other. They are like night and day and the Ti sounds weak trying to do some Moog sounds next to the Voyager to me. Still love the Ti for the things it does good though. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

If the difference between fake and real analog either doesn't make a difference to you in in this specific case, or in general, then by all means sell it and get something else that you'll appreciate more. I don't think that anyone else's opinion is relevant but yours - I don't like the Virus, my setup has moved to analog only, pretty much. But that really only matters for me. I can see how someone would prefer the Virus, and if you do, then the Voyager becomes way overpriced and redundant, and the money better spent on other things.

• Members

Yay !! Glad to hear it.

I just got a shiny new electric blue myself and after spending a day and night with it so far, I would have a very hard time parting with it in the future. If you plug a BBE Sonic Stomp Exciter in the Filter In with an insert cable the patches come to an amazing brilliant life (a little trick I read about somewhere).

I do the same thing, makes a world of difference to the Voyager.Makes it actually sound like an analogue synth !

Archived