Kit analysis - or - do I really need a Voyager?

Allerian

• Members

The more I've learned to control and implement the Virus TI with the rest of my kit, the more I'm wondering if I really need the Voyager. 99.9% of the time, I use it for its bass sounds which are wonderful, but can easily be duplicated (well enough for my ears) on the TI.

This makes me want a Virus even more. Maybe I don't want a Voyager or LP after all. And for my situation that's kind of what I was thinking anyway, for the same reasons you gave about the negatives of having an expensive analog mono around.

You never know, but I think Voyagers are going to be made indefinitely so may not be all that collectible, at least not anytime soon. But if you have an emotional connection with it you want to keep it. I have a few keyboards around that I seldom use but wouldn't dream of parting with.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recently bought a Virus TI, and I only have room for two synths in my den/studio, so I delegated my Voyager to the closet. I've often considered selling it, but I want to keep it, mainly for sentimental reasons. When I was a teenager, I dreamt of owning a Minimoog, but not until I was older could I afford it. Now that I have it, I'd like to keep it, even if just as a collectible.

Even if I end up leaving behind my hobby with synths, it'd be nice to occasionally turn the dials and play the keys. And maybe someday I'd give it to one of my kids; damn, I would have been excited if someone gave me a hand-me-down Minimoog when I was young.

There aren't many modern synths that I think are worthy as collectibles. The MMV is one of the few. Possibly the Prophet '08 will be another. In comparison, my Virus TI and Korg Oasys seem almost disposable when thinking ahead 25 years.

Mark

While I am a stringed instrument player who is dabbling in synthesis, I understand and am dealing with multiple facets of the same thing. For example, I wanted a Mesa Boogie amp ever since I was a teenager (not a dual rectumfier, an old fashioned hot-rodded Marshall-in-a-small-box type). After over 2 decades I was finally able to afford a Mark IV head. I am not using it at all right now and have not used it for about a year (I bought a Bogner Shiva and it put the Mesa out of circulation). I keep thinking it should go to ebay, but I just can't part with it even though I like the Bogner better for my personal style.

It also seems to me that modern digital electronic keyboards are like computers - something you buy knowing full well that at some time in the next 1-24 months something better is going to come along. So you get what you really need and what you know will keep you running and happy until the technology becomes intolerably obsolete. Then you buy another new one and sell the old one (or put it in the kids room and recycle the ancient one in the kids room like I do). For musical instruments I am used to something like my old Gibson ES335. I bought it when I was in high school and after 25 years it still works fine and plays and sounds just as good or better than a modern model. This is one of the major reasons I am interested in a solid analog synthesizer.

• Members

It also seems to me that modern digital electronic keyboards are like computers - something you buy knowing full well that at some time in the next 1-24 months something better is going to come along.

Unless Elektron comes out with something unexpected, I think I'll be locked onto my existing setup for a long, long time. Famous last words...

• Members

Update: I spent some quality time today using the TI instead of the Voyager. First thing that stood out was how easy it is to use the TI's multi mode. Just for kicks I ran the bass patch to it's own output and sure enough, after a few A/B comparisions I may be convinced.

Kinda creepy tho, to have the Voyager there and turned off. I eventually just switched it on so it would quit staring at me. :freak:

• Members

Compared to a lot of people who frequent this forum, you actually have a streamlined, efficient synth setup. Many of us admittedly (I'm one of them) have too much gear, to the point of it being counterproductive to making music (let's see, record a song, or keep scrolling and auditioning all 512 patches on this V-Synth? Ah, forget about making a sound today, auditioning sounds is too much fun!) :D

I think your kit is perfectly well-balanced as it is. I would keep the Voyager.

:thu:

• Members

Monomachine, Machinedrum UW, Virus TI, Motif Rack.

+ Voyager.

I'll agree that all that's pretty balanced. Hell, I would have cut the Elektron stuff and put Studio Manager to more use on the Motif Rack but to each their own.

I don't really need much after these...

Triton Extreme w/MOSS

Prophet 08

MV-8800

The rest is just extra.. Nord Electro 2 73 and all the software.

I look at your stuff in just about the same way.

Virus TI

Moog Voyager

Motif Rack w/Studio Manager software

"Software Sequencer"

• Members
Interesting. Three things that are true for me: Very few of the sounds in my music come from the Motif. Many of them come from the Elektron gear. There is no computer in my setup.

Wow. Your all audio? Don't sequence at all?

Being that my humble beginnings were with romplers, I find them to be the most versatile things.

Flip side.

To each their own. :wave:

• Members
from my experience, it largly depends on how big the rig is and what kind of music your trying to do. In my case, it doesnt. For folks like Alerian, it works perfectly.

different strokes and all that..

It doesn't in my case either.

mv8800-01.jpg

But it is a bit of a surprise to me that it's capable.

• Members

Definately capable. It lacks some advanced sequencer functions, has a few unique tricks of its own that make it really special, but the thing it does the best is enable me to make music that I really enjoy.

I'm left to wonder what "folks like me" are... I'll assume you mean "totally cool people". ;)

• Members
Definately capable. It lacks some advanced sequencer functions, has a few unique tricks of its own that make it really special, but the thing it does the best is enable me to make music that I really enjoy.

I'm left to wonder what "folks like me" are... I'll assume you mean "totally cool people".
;)

well, I meant crazy hill people whom for some reason 'get' how elektron sequencers work. :D

• Members

MOUNTAIN MUSIC!? :D

:rawk: ON!

• Members
"There is no computer in my setup."

How do you post MP3's without a computer?
:confused:

I remember that one you did with the Micron.

I use a digital four track and finalize my material in Mackie Tracktion - on a computer in another part of the house. Tried having one in the studio. Wasn't for me - I use computers for work all day long, its nice to have none around sometimes. Just blinky lights. :love:

• Members

I don't know if this is an option but....never having played a TI and frankly being lost at the helm of a Voyager, I can say that I really enjoy playing the Little Phatty. If you are using your Moog mostly for bass, I can't imagine it's all too far removed from the voyager - for bass at least.

...I use my little phatty with my monomachine and sh101 all the time and frankly it's a great set up...throw in a Kaoss pad for a little excitement and as Carl Weathers says, "you got yourself a stew!".

• Members

The more I've learned to control and implement the Virus TI with the rest of my kit, the more I'm wondering if I really need the Voyager. 99.9% of the time, I use it for its bass sounds whcih are wonderful, but can easily be duplicated

Analog still beats digital in a few areas - mostly sync sounds and audio-rate modulations. If you're not doing much of that kind of thing, the TI can easily take its place.

• Members

Interesting...the one weakness I perceive in the Virus is the lack of audio rate FM, so it can't achieve the power-weirdth of the Q.

FM is one of the Virus's real weak points, imo. Dial in a basic two-osc fm patch and play it up the keyboard to see what I mean. The Q and even a Nord have a real edge here. I've found you can approximate the more typical FM-ish tones better with ringmod on the Virus, which doesn't seem to fall into alias hell quite as early.

I'd love to see a new knobby FM synth on the market. The FM machines in the Monomachine are great but something a little deeper would be deadly. The more I work with FM the more I prefer it to standard subtractive VA synthesis.

Archived