Talk Box

• Members

Hi All

My band are looking to do Living On a Prayer and I am going to get talkbox so I can get the sound etc.

Can anyone advise how it would fit in my current set up so I dont cock it up!!!

I have a POD XT Live connected into the effects loop on a Marshall DSL 50 head with a Samson wireless system into the front of the head.

Where do i put the talk box as I am a bit lost.

Thanks

• Members

You really want the Banshee. It nails every classic talkbox song including Living on a prayer. You hook it up just like a pedal but you need a microphone to have the effect come through the PA. You can hear it fine while practicing though.

The Heil is a pain in the ass because you almost need to have a second guitar amp plug into the heil .

• Members

thanks guys but i still dont get how i sequence this into my current set up as above, any ideas?

i think the mighty thor answered and explained this

its just a regular pedal

you just need a microphone into the pa

• Members

the talk box is a mid horn driver and needs a speaker out from your amp for it to work. Its not like a effect box its like a speaker.

right... but it doesn't need two amps like the earlier posts seemed to imply.

You only need one amp that is wired like this:

Guitar (normal chain) --> Amp head --> Talkbox (using speaker cable) --> Normal speaker cabinet

• Members

plus the banshee is only 5 watts? Needs to be like 50 watts IMO.

that's the only thing I dislike about the Banshee, you need one helluva PA system to make the Banshee cut through the mix ... Also been using it in the studio and it was too noisy, stuff I laid down with the Banshee wasn't used in the end. All that drooling for nothing ...

• Members

I do appreciate all the feedback, however if you look at the original post my question referred to how it should be wired using my XT live and DSL 50. ie where in the loop should it be etc....

thanks

a real heil talk box doesn't go in the effects loop

It goes in after the speaker output of your amp then returns the signal to the speaker cab. This was explained in a few different previous posts in this thread.

thanks

• 3 months later...
  • Members

that's the only thing I dislike about the Banshee, you need one helluva PA system to make the Banshee cut through the mix ... Also been using it in the studio and it was too noisy, stuff I laid down with the Banshee wasn't used in the end. All that drooling for nothing ...

Sorry to bring this topic back up but we're interested in a talkbox. We're a cover band that's doing songs that would sound way better with a talkbox i.e. Rocky mountain Way, Hair of the Dog, Man in the Box. How much PA would be needed we gotta a small PA system that we just use for vocals only would that be enough?

• Members

well, I have decided to sell my Banshee
I'm used to play with a small 2x300watt PA system and crappy mics
and it just does not cut it, not loud enough, even with the gain and volume maxed out
so a decent mic and a heavy PA might do the trick, but I'm fed up with the talkbox, also the whole making your guitar talk thing didn't work for me, I also tried a smaller diameter tube, but talking/playing at the same time it sure needs practice, and I got fed up with it.
Also, I don't like it that when you engage the Banshee, there's no sound coming from the amp, you're only getting the signal through the tube ...
I think the new Banshee 2 lets you mix the amp signal and the talkbox signal

I also hooked the Banshee up to a Microkorg, trying to achieve a Roger Troutman sound, the talking/singing was easier, but again, not enough volume for use in a band situation

Archived