Pulp Fiction

tubezipper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still remember going to see it opening night in the theater. The place was packed. Every scenester in my town was there. It was the first time (and last time) I had ever seen such a turn out for what was a (comparatively) small budgeted, borderline independent film with marginal starpower.

I wouldn't say it's one of the best movies of all time, but it's definitely one of the most entertaining.

• Members

SO what's in the briefcase?

a gold lightbulb

What is in the briefcase?

EditHistoryDelete

According to Quentin Tarantino, , "It's whatever the viewer wants it to be." Popular viewer opinions are:

- Marsellus Wallace's soul.

- The ear from Reservoir Dogs.

- O.J. Simpson's other glove.

- Michael Jackson's other glove.

- The Oscar that Quentin Tarantino hopes to win.

- Rudolph's nose.

- Judy Davis' head from Barton Fink

- Laundered money; Jules tells Ringo this in the diner scene (this would not explain the glow).

- Stolen diamonds from Reservoir Dogs

- heroin

- The Holy Grail

- Chuck Norris' tears

- Gold bullion

- 25 Watt Transparent Amber Light Bulb

- Marsellus Wallace's anal virginity

• Members

^^^^^^
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This past weekend my friends and I came to the conclusion that Quentin Tarantino has the best eye for American pop culture. Everything he does is cool and if isn't cool to begin with it becomes cool because he did it.

I think that it's MW's soul.

• Members
Extremely over-rated.... Reservoir Dogs is much better. Pulp Fiction wouldn't even make my top 500. It can't hold a candle to most of the classic-era
films noirs

Sorry.
:idk::p

Understandable.

My feeling has always been that he doesn't want to make a film on par with the classics. I've always seen his movies as a bridge between pop culture and classics...in the end he's making tributes to his favorites. Like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp are to Film Noirs, Death Proof to Vanishing Point, Kill Bill to kung fu. etc etc.

• Members
his soul?? really wtf?
:confused:

last time I saw the film it wasn't a supernatural thriller.

That theory has been around almost as long as the film. Interesting theory based on a lot of stuff, including the band-aid on the back of his neck. I don't remember how it all goes, but someone put alot of thought into it.

I'm surprised tubezipper's list doesn't mention the most obvious one - the nuclear device from Kiss Me Deadly, which is undoubtedly (and I believe, admittedly) where Tarantino got the image.

• Members
That theory has been around almost as long as the film. Interesting theory based on a lot of stuff, including the band-aid on the back of his neck. I don't remember how it all goes, but someone put alot of thought into it.

yeah a lot of thought while they were stoned.

I'm interested if someone can point me to the places in the film where..

A: there is a suggestion that MW doesn't have a soul
B: that it was somehow removed and put in a briefcase.
c: why that when others open the briecase, they go 'yup, cool that's it' and not 'holy {censored}ing {censored} there's somebody's soul in here'

making the jump from someone having a band aid on thier neck to "they've had thier soul removed and put in a briefcase" seems a pretty big leap of the old imagination to me. :idk:

• Members
yeah a lot of thought while they were stoned.

I'm interested if someone can point me to the places in the film where..

A: there is a suggestion that MW doesn't have a soul

B: that it was somehow removed and put in a briefcase.

c: why that when others open the briecase, they go 'yup, cool that's it' and not 'holy {censored}ing {censored} there's somebody's soul in here'

making the jump from someone having a band aid on thier neck to "they've had thier soul removed and put in a briefcase" seems a pretty big leap of the old imagination to me.
:idk:

well yeah, who thinks up crazy theories about B-movies when they're sober anyway?

I can't remember the theory, but I'm sure you can google it.

In regarding "c" though, I think the basis for alot of the speculation is Tim Roth's over-the-top reaction when he sees what is inside. That's the only thing I can remember from the movie that would suggest it's something more out of the ordinary than gold bars or stolen jewels.

• Members

From IMDB:

The story goes that when the Devil takes a person's soul, it is removed through the back of the head. When we see the back of Marcellus's head he has a Band-Aid covering the precise spot indicated by tradition for soul removal. Perhaps Marcellus sold his soul to the devil which would also explain why the combination to open the briefcase is 666.

• Members
Understandable.

My feeling has always been that he doesn't want to make a film on par with the classics. I've always seen his movies as a bridge between pop culture and classics...in the end he's making tributes to his favorites. Like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp are to Film Noirs, Death Proof to Vanishing Point, Kill Bill to kung fu. etc etc.

Oh, I completely agree with you. It's just that Tarantino's end results are real hit or miss with me. But I appreciate his love for film history and culture. More than I can say for a lot of hacks working in Hollywood.... :mad:

Archived