Pulp Fiction

tubezipper

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jules: Describe what Marcellus Wallace looks like!

Brett: What, I-?

Jules: [pointing his gun] Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, mother{censored}er. Say what one more goddamn time.

Brett: He's b-b-black...

Jules: Go on.

Brett: He's bald...

Jules: Does he look like a bitch?

Brett: What?

[Jules shoots Brett in shoulder]

Jules: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Brett: No!

Jules: Then why you try to {censored} him like a bitch, Brett?

Brett: I didn't.

Jules: Yes you did. Yes you did, Brett. You tried to {censored} him. And Marcellus Wallace don't like to be {censored}ed by anybody, except Mrs. Wallace.

• Members

"Hawthorne Grill" was a real diner but had been closed for sometime before filming began. If re-opened after the film became popular. In the "booth" featured in the film where Vincent and Jules sat, there was a cardboard cutout of the actors nearby for pictures. The building is long gone and an auto parts store is now in its place.

Years ago it used to be a "Holly's" diner which was very similar to Denny's. I used to eat there all the time with my grandma.

• Members
Extremely over-rated.... Reservoir Dogs is much better. Pulp Fiction wouldn't even make my top 500. It can't hold a candle to most of the classic-era
films noirs

Sorry.
:idk::p

What does Pulp Fiction have anything to do with Film noir? Thats like saying Van Halen is {censored} because there no where near as good as Beethoven. I think its one of the best films in its stylistic ball park

• Members

From IMDB:

The story goes that when the Devil takes a person's soul, it is removed through the back of the head. When we see the back of Marcellus's head he has a Band-Aid covering the precise spot indicated by tradition for soul removal. Perhaps Marcellus sold his soul to the devil which would also explain why the combination to open the briefcase is 666.

other supporting factors I've heard:

The soul is the most beautiful thing about a person and that's why ppl reacted the way they did when they opened the briefcase.

Also vincent & jules weren't shot in the kahuna burger not b/c of a miracle but b/c they were doing the devil's dirty work.

Not saying it's right but it makes additional viewing interesting.

I'm surprised no on has mentioned Tarantino's best flick...

TRUE ROMANCE

• Members

trash.

derivative, racist, romanticizes violence, superficial fluff.

:cop:

ok, ok, I'm sort of joking. Yeah I don't like his movies, and I see the above in them, but I also understand and appreciate why people love them, and thats cool too.

And no, I don't want to argue or get into a flame war or any of that bull{censored}.

And while I can't explain ALL my thoughts about him, I will say that he gives the American public what they want, even if they didn't exactly know they wanted it (which is why people think he's an artistic genious... but I think they're wrong.. his genious is that of the marketing and advertising agent).

Best (recent) crime movie? : Eastern Promises

(aka: the opposite of pulp fiction)

• Members

trash.

derivative, racist, romanticizes violence, superficial fluff.

:cop:

ok, ok, I'm sort of joking. Yeah I don't like his movies, and I see the above in them, but I also understand and appreciate why people love them, and thats cool too.

And no, I don't want to argue or get into a flame war or any of that bull{censored}.

And while I can't explain ALL my thoughts about him, I will say that he gives the American public what they want, even if they didn't exactly know they wanted it (which is why people think he's an artistic genious... but I think they're wrong.. his genious is that of the marketing and advertising agent).

Best (recent) crime movie? : Eastern Promises

(aka: the opposite of pulp fiction)

definitely derivative, less racist than Spike Lee, obviously romanticizes violence (though in a less subversive manner than most Hollywood action flicks), and only "superficial" to the extent that all pop art is intentionally superficial.

I agree though that Tarantino gives the public what they want. I don't think that means he's simply an adman. He's a showman, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that. Would I class him along with Bergman and Antonioni? No. But Scorcese and Coppola are showmen too, they were just a bit more pretentious in their heyday. Tarantino fits in with the best American directors who create innovative commercial entertainment.

• Members
What does Pulp Fiction have anything to do with Film noir? Thats like saying Van Halen is {censored} because there no where near as good as Beethoven.

Are you serious?? It's called "pulp fiction" for god's sake... :facepalm:

But if you honestly don't know, Tarantino et al. were intentionally using story elements and conventions from pulp novels and Hollywood film noir in making Pulp Fiction (this is obvious, anyone with even a passing knowledge of film history would know this). I just thought the end results were just ok--definitely entertaining, but nothing to rank it among the best films of all time. Just my opinion.

I compared Pulp Fiction to film noir because that is what it is: a contemporary version of film noir (sometimes called neo-noir). And I ONLY made this comparison because everyone was claiming it to be in the top 10 films of all time. My point is that I don't even think it's even a top 10 crime film (with dozens of classic noirs being better, imo) let alone top film in any genre, category, etc. Again, only my opinion, not saying anyone is wrong if they think it's the best film ever.

But your Van Halen/Beethoven analogy is WAAAYY off-base.

• Members

I'm surprised no on has mentioned Tarantino's best flick...

TRUE ROMANCE

Probably because he didn't direct it, but wrote the screenplay. Not saying this is right mind you. But we don't typically think of Taxi Driver as a Paul Schrader film, for example.

I do think it would have been a better film if Tarantino directed True Romance... I can't stand Tony Scott.

• Members

Chinatown is a great film. What is your point?

Pulp Fiction isn't noir. Chinatown is. There are clear distinctions between two movies like these that separate the two.

I love Pulp Fiction and own the DVD, but it is not noir. There may be a few scenes that could be construed as noir, but not as a whole.

Chinatown on the otherhand is.

• Members

Depends what you mean by "noir." But I agree they are different kinds of films.

Chinatown is like the private-eye noir films such as Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, etc (the Hammett, Chandler stuff). However, LOTS of noir films do not have private detectives and are told from the point of view of the criminals and people caught up in a world of crime. Think Out of the Past, Postman Always Rings Twice, Dark Passage, Asphalt Jungle, The Set-Up, Gun Crazy, etc. Novelists like Cain, Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Cornell Woolrich, etc.

The crime films of the classic noir era were often based on pulp novels, short stories from pulp magazines (like the Black Mask) and this is the tradition Tarantino is working in. So it seems a perfectly reasonable comparison, if anything to understand where Tarantino is coming from.

Honestly, I think "film noir" is a misleading term to begin with and there is no consensus on what it even refers to. This is partially just a categorization issue. They're all just crime films really....

Archived