Low Wattage Tube Amp Heads.

frankiej

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lately I have been rocking teh Dr Z Carmen Ghia head with a Bogner 1x12 cabinet. It took me a couple days to figure out that the tone knob works in reverse on the Carmen Ghia. For awhile there I thought the Carmen Ghia was really muddy sounding. After I figured out that the tone knob worked backwards I have been able to get all kinds of really nice sounds. It sounds especially good with my archtops.

• Members

Lately I have been rocking teh Dr Z Carmen Ghia head with a Bogner 1x12 cabinet. It took me a couple days to figure out that the tone knob works in reverse on the Carmen Ghia. For awhile there I thought the Carmen Ghia was really muddy sounding. After I figured out that the tone knob worked backwards I have been able to get all kinds of really nice sounds. It sounds especially good with my archtops.

It doesn't work in reverse, it "adds fullness" - haha!

Seriously this is one of the best and most versatile amps I have played. My buddy built me one out of an old Hammond reverb amp, like the original Dr. Z's - he has his own chassis and transformers made now, but I suppose you could say mine has more of the original "mojo"

• Members

Ok this is what ive deceided for anyone whos wondering.

Going to buy a Lopo Line 2x12 with convertable back so i can have open and closed, whichever an amp head my prefer. Its going to be white with black hardware and a charcoal grill. Porbably grap two 16 ohm speakers a wire them in parellel to have the load be 8 ohms. Which speakers i dont know yet, ill probably make another thread about it in a couple of months:thu::cop:

Im going to start learning how to solder and what not in the winter so i might end up getting a Epi and mode the {censored} out of it so i can get it to my liking. Give it some more head room, smoothness, etc...

Then perhaps Sell my AC15, yes i said sell. Put it up around chirstmas and people should be all over it!:love:

Im liking the sound of my plans...:wave:

• Members

I heard its more known for its dirty side then its clean side. I remember crsxh mentioning something about that when he first got it, that it was better when ran already dirty then just clean.

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but:

Crxsh also said that the tiny terror didn't take to pedals all that well.

• Members
Didn't read the rest of the thread, but:

Crxsh also said that the tiny terror didn't take to pedals all that well.

Yes, i remember him saying that also. Even more so i think he said it turns to mush when you got some fuzz pedals ran into it. Ive got two fuzzes so, i think the TT is out:facepalm::eek:

• Members
Yes, i remember him saying that also. Even more so i think he said it turns to mush when you got some fuzz pedals ran into it. Ive got two fuzzes so, i think the TT is out:facepalm:
:eek:

What I said was that if you've got the gain past noon pedals don't go well with it. If you're running it clean/cleanish though -- no problems at all.

• Members
What I said was that if you've got the gain past noon pedals don't go well with it. If you're running it clean/cleanish though -- no problems at all.

ahhh ok. Didnt mean to twist your words, thanks for the correction!:thu:

• Members
ahhh ok. Didnt mean to twist your words, thanks for the correction!
:thu:

Not a problem. Honestly, it sounds just fine with pedals if you're going clean or even if it's pushed some. The TT has a TON of gain though, once you're in the 3:00 range on the gain knob ..... up there, nothing sounds good but teh :rawk:

• Members

Pedals + TT = Good Stuff. I wouldn't want it to be my ONLY amp, fuzz & distortion can both sound totally kick-@$$ into a dirty amp - just different! Think how many classic sounds are the result of some dirt or fuzz into a Marshall that's already breaking up. I think the TT is a great way to get something a bit like this to run pedals into w/o having to crank a Marshall & kill neighbors, etc.

Glad you posted your pix. here Nick - your mini-stack is legendary. :love:

• Members
once you're in the 3:00 range on the gain knob ..... up there, nothing sounds good but teh
:rawk:

I agree 100%. I spend VERY little time past 1-2:00 on the gain dial. When I DO go up there, I usually roll back my guitar's volume to smooth things out.

• Members

Bit out of my price range so to speak right now. If i end up selling my AC15 that should bring in about 400-450 tops maybe.

But that neptune does sound declious though, i do admit. It looks killer with the tubes and everything showing.

• Members

I dont think i could justify a 800 head though, seeing as i dont play out much. Id feel like it doesnt have a worthy owner. {censored}, I even had a hard time justifing my AC15.

But when i come back for winter break from college im going on the head hunt when i sell my Ac15. If if i get the Epi and mod it to {censored} then buy another head, i can always keep it since ill have such little money invested in it.

Archived