bad monkey for me?

hierophant

• Members

okay, so I'm looking for a low-medium gain OD. and here is my question:

is the bad monkey a great OD for the price.....or a great OD period.

I'm loving the Barber LTD demos I've heard but i have an under $100 policy I've adopted to try and save money for school and {censored}. (and i can't find a used one :cry:) Also, i don't think any shops around where i live carry Barber stuff...so i would have to order online, whereas i could just stroll down to my local shop and pick up a bad monkey.

Sooo will the bad monkey suffice and slay my GAS attack!?....or leave me wanting more..

• Members

I went to GC today to get the BBE. They had the Bad Monkey for $49, but it didn't sound right. The BBE is $99, so it falls under your under $100 rule. It depends on what your preference is. As much money as I have in my rig, I will NEVER put a cheap pedal in front of it. The BBE is the cheapest one I have. But it's sooooo good. I bought an Ibanez 808, and I liked the BBE better. The Ibanez had a mid hump and the BBE is just creamy!

• Members

I went to GC today to get the BBE. They had the Bad Monkey for $49, but it didn't sound right. The BBE is $99, so it falls under your under $100 rule. It depends on what your preference is. As much money as I have in my rig, I will NEVER put a cheap pedal in front of it. The BBE is the cheapest one I have. But it's sooooo good. I bought an Ibanez 808, and I liked the BBE better. The Ibanez had a mid hump and the BBE is just creamy!

Exactly what I thought. I didn't mind the mid hump of the 808, but the Green Screamer sounds fantastic. It's my cheapest pedal, too, but is one of the best ones I have. It's great to layer/stack with and is great for solo boosts.

It's smooth and plays well with others - a very important quality in all areas of life.

• Members

I have A Keeley TS-9,BBE Green Screamer and a Bad Monkey. Each are great pedals. Here's my opinion on them................

Bad Monkey=Good OD and/or boost, great tone control(bass tone control:thu:)

Keeley TS-9=Very very versatile. Most used out of the three. Classic sound, combined with a Keeley Compressor it's the best blues sound I've ever created.

BBE Green Screamer=More volume boost of the three, less mid hump. Very articulate note definition. Combined with my Sniper GE-7 EQ gets some awesome metal tones.

• Members

Definitely a great OD period, though it really does depend on your guitar/amp combination too, like with any pedal.

I've got an MI Audio Tube Zone and Fulltone OCD too, and the Bad Monkey does stuff neither can. When I want a really good, really present clean boost that compresses slightly, I hit the Bad Monkey. When I want great lead tones from an already driven amp, I hit my other Bad Monkey. :thu:

The OCD I mainly use for rhythm boosts when I need them, as its much less compressed in nature (I guess to be more "amp-like"). The OCD is fantastic at what it does.

The Tube Zone is now fairly obsolete for my set-up and will be making its way on ebay soon. It tries to be good at everything but just lacks a little something for me.

The Bad Monkey has character and class, just a stupid name that makes some people love to hate it. (even I turned my back on this pedal for a while, now I have 2!)

Archived