Compressors. What to do? :idk:

rdm

• Members

OK...went back to playing a Tele and thinking about adding a compressor back on my board. I'd only occassionally use it for clean stuff and it wouldn't be used alot...so what would you do?

1) Get a DynaComp since they're reasonably priced and the pedal wouldn't be used all that often

-or-

2) Spring for a Tone Press

I've owned both pedals. The Barber TP is an amazing compressor....but I wouldn't be running it all the time...so I really wouldn't need the blend knob.

Thoughts? :confused:

• Members
The Barber TP is an amazing compressor....but I wouldn't be running it all the time...so I really wouldn't need the blend knob.

Thoughts?
:confused:

I agree!

The barber is definitely amazing! The name really fits the sound of this little box. The quality of sound and build is phenomenal, and at $150 new, I don't think there is any other option.

I think you should get the barber.

• Members

Another note...

I was extremely happy with the tone press when I first bought it, and I was playing exclusively through a strat.

When I plugged in my new tele and kicked the switch, it was LOOOOVE!:love:

Tele + Tone Press = GREATNESS.:thu:

• Members

The Tone Press didn't really work for me. It does what it's supposed to do very well, but was too transparent. I got used to my Keeley Comp's tone coloring, and missed it when it was gone.

So if your looking for a Comp that effects tone, rather than a Comp to transparently effect the signal, the Tone Press might not work for you, even with the blend all the way on Compression.

My bass player is loving the Tone Press, though.

• Members

The Tone Press didn't really work for me. It does what it's supposed to do very well, but was too transparent. I got used to my Keeley Comp's tone coloring, and missed it when it was gone.

So if your looking for a Comp that effects tone, rather than a Comp to transparently effect the signal, the Tone Press might not work for you, even with the blend all the way on Compression.

My bass player is loving the Tone Press, though.

That's funny,

I think most people view transparency as positive and tone coloring as negative when choosing effects. I see where you're coming from though.

• Members

That's funny,

I think most people view transparency as positive and tone coloring as negative when choosing effects. I see where you're coming from though.

Yeah, the Dyna Comp has a pretty specific sound, and many people love it. It was just too much for me. I got the Keeley before I knew about the Tone Press.

I guess what I meant is the Tone Press lacks "jangle" to my ears.

Strat into Keeley Comp > Barber LTD > DMM is my core sound at the moment. As soon as a I took the Keeley out and put the Tone Press in, the sparkle I was used to hearing was still there, but a lot less.

• Members

I bought a Diamond Comp to level out my string volumes when doing clean fingerpicked stuff. It is VERY transparent - to the point that you can't tell its on until you turn it off. It doesn't screw with my picking dynamics or kill any highs/lows. If you are going for a specific chickin' pickin' type thing, then a Ross/Squeezer/DynaComp is probably what you should get. But if you just want leveling and some sustain and keep you signal as unmolested as possible, the Diamond is the one IMO. It is capable of the more squishy stuff too, BTW - lest you think its a one-trick pony.

• Members

I bought a Diamond Comp to level out my string volumes when doing clean fingerpicked stuff. It is VERY transparent - to the point that you can't tell its on until you turn it off. It doesn't screw with my picking dynamics or kill any highs/lows. If you are going for a specific chickin' pickin' type thing, then a Ross/Squeezer/DynaComp is probably what you should get. But if you just want leveling and some sustain and keep you signal as unmolested as possible, the Diamond is the one IMO. It is capable of the more squishy stuff too, BTW - lest you think its a one-trick pony.

Thanks...just saw the proguitarshop demo and it sounds like a great pedal.

• Members

I'm still shopping but looking to emulate compression i used on the clip below. Thing is, I used Sound forge wave hammer (essentially a software compressor) It drastically shaded the guitar tone, but in a way i kinda liked.

http://www.imeem.com/people/G1iW08t/music/FRc1puTa/george_pittaway_ibanez_artcore_hollowbody_testmp3/

so, what's best for this type of playing? keely??

http://ezrollguitar.com

Archived