alternatives to mesa tremoverb

zwtyo

• Members

guitar center had one for $850, it'd been there for 4 months and when i decided to buy it, they sold it. go figure.

anyway, does anyone know of an amp similar to this but maybe with only 50 watts?

• Members

Is there a non-Mesa amp that can pull of Mesa tones? :idk:

You can get those great cleans out of a Fender -- but you'd be hard pressed to get the same dirt I'd think. The again, a Marshall JCM800 combo like Robopimp's might just do it (with a British dirt flavour) ........ but aren't those kinda rare? :idk:

• Members

I had a Tremoverb a few years back when I was touring, and I loved it. You're right, it's one of the most tonally versatile amps you can get.

I had a TriAxis and Simul 2:90 with it and, even though I could recall lots of 'channels', this was nowhere near as versatile as the ToV. It feels like 4 amps, not 4 channels, if that makes sense.

Also, the orange (clean) channel doesn't seem to get that much love, but I adored that channel, especially cranked, touch of reverb and trem... :love:

Unfortunately, I decided to give mine up when the budget for roadies disappeared and I had to start lugging it myself... funny how portable and light my setup then became!:idk:

• Members

Also, the orange (clean) channel doesn't seem to get that much love, but I adored that channel, especially cranked, touch of reverb and trem...
:love:

Unfortunately, I decided to give mine up when the budget for roadies disappeared and I had to start lugging it myself... funny how portable and light my setup then became!
:idk:

I love the Orange channel! I turn the mids all the way down for cleans. For a while I was using the Red channel to clone the Orange channel for my dirty sounds b/c I like the Orange Channel's dirt too. But I've since been using the Red channel's dirt (not teh brewtalz, though, lol). Using the solid state rectifier gives a tighter/crisper sound w/ more headroom. I like that, but I also like the tube rectifier. I barely ever use the Blues Mode, but since I'm not doing the band thing now, I'll have more time to revisit the different options of the TOV.

• Members

I love the Orange channel! I turn the mids all the way down for cleans. For a while I was using the Red channel to clone the Orange channel for my dirty sounds b/c I like the Orange Channel's dirt too. But I've since been using the Red channel's dirt (not teh brewtalz, though, lol). Using the solid state rectifier gives a tighter/crisper sound w/ more headroom. I like that, but I also like the tube rectifier. I barely ever use the Blues Mode, but since I'm not doing the band thing now, I'll have more time to revisit the different options of the TOV.

have you compared the TOV to other rectifiers? I'm curious how similar they are.

• Members

have you compared the TOV to other rectifiers? I'm curious how similar they are.

Not personally, but I talked w/ the MESA rep for a while about the differences - but now that there are the 3 channel dual/trip recs the playing field seems more even. He said that when the TOV and DR came out the TOV was voiced slightly mellower. But it can still do the brootalz! A friend of mine has a 3 channel dual rec and he gets amazing varieties of tones.

In all honesty, I would imagine that the newer DRs are prolly fine substitutes for the TOV. I think you were right about getting a DR w/ a reverb and trem pedal. The TOVs reverb is good, but it's not really deep like some Fenders. And the trem is pretty subtle - it's good, but subtle. So considering the variety of excellent reverb and trem pedals out there, and the flexiblity of the 3 channel DR/TRs, that may be the way to go for a lot of people. If my TOV was stolen, I'd definitely spend a lot of time w/ the newer 3 channel amps before getting another TOV. Based on what I've heard, I'd be hard pressed to say that I'd choose another TOV over a new DR.

• Members

hmmm thanks
:thu:

I wish I knew someone around me w/ the 3 channel jobber. I'd love to A/B them. But like I said, the MESA rep said that for the most part the TOV is wired a lot like the DR from back then. So given that you get that 3rd channel w/ the new DRs, I can't see how the TOV would be better. Hmm, now I want to go and look at the DRs.

Are you keeping that beast of yours?

Archived