Maxon/Ibanez whats the difference?

tubezipper

• Members

Like a Fender / Squire thing maybe?

no, I don't think so....I was lead to belive that maxon were more of a manufacturing type company, and Ibanez were more of a sales company with a well known name, so the two kinda joined forces to create the Ibanez line of pedals. built by Maxon and branded/sold by Ibanez.....I thought Maxon actually made lots of those old Japanese pedals, not just Ibanez. I thought it was more like the sovtek/EHX relationship and the same as whoever makes those EHX microphones (they aren't made by EHX, just branded as ehx)

I guess Ibanez started using another manufactuer, so Maxon brought out thier own versions??

• Members

All of the Maxons use much higher quality parts and are much more true to the original pedals.

Parts such as what?

Do they actually make any difference to the sound, or is this just maxon blurb?

• Members

From the Wikipedia article:

Maxon (Nisshin Onpa) started out in the mid 1960s as a guitar pickup manufacturer. Nisshin Onpa has manufactured pickups for Aria, Ibanez and Greco guitars. The Ibanez "Super 70" and "Super 58" pickups and also the Greco "U-2000" and "Dry Z" pickups were made by Nisshin Onpa. In 1969 they also became an effects pedal manufacturer, primarily as a producer of OEM products for other companies. During that time Nisshin Onpa was responsible for building a fuzz/wah pedal that was very popular, being marketed under a multitude of trade names including Ibanez. During the 1970s Ibanez became one of the company's main OEM customers. Nisshin Onpa designed and manufactured the now legendary TS-808 and TS-9 Tube Screamers for Ibanez, and many other models, including the FL-9 Flanger, CS-9 Chorus, and AD-9 Analog Delay. Nisshin Onpa also marketed its pedals under its own Maxon name during this time. When Nisshin Onpa and Ibanez parted ways in 2002, Nisshin Onpa began to more aggressively market its own line of Maxon pedals. Repositioning itself as a manufacturer of high-end mass-produced effects, Maxon expanded its line of analog pedals, using rare NOS components and classic circuit designs that are to this day highly respected and sought after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxon_Effects_Pedals

Archived