Dual Q's...Beach Boy content inside

Fenderman1991

• Members

Saw BW and the Smile band--the music was great, but they did these weird rehearsed jokes and "banter" in which Brian would laugh literally 3-4 seconds after the joke was over. Made for some uncomfortable silences.

As for another album outside of Pet Sounds, I'd second Sunflower, and I happen to think that the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey packaged CD is INCREDIBLE. I like a lot of the demo Smile stuff better than the finished product.

• Members

What I'd love to hear would be a modern version of Pet Sounds, with nothing changed in terms of performances and arrangements, but with the modern sonics of BWP SMiLE.

BWP SMiLE is good but the instruments just don't gel that well at times compared to the SMiLE demos back from the 60's. What BWP SMiLE showed me more than anythign was how good the Wrecking Crew and the other musicians were that Wilson used, and also how good the recording studios were that he used. Proof that good natural reverb beats the hell out of any Eventide processor ;)

The best version of SMiLE I've heard is one stitched together by a guy a few years ago from as many of the demos as possible and then put online. Offhand I'm fairly sure it was a link on The Smile Shop, an excellent website that is unfortunately around no longer for various reasons. The memorial is here: http://www.thesmileshop.net/index.php/Main_Page

This version of SMiLE I have is absolutely brilliant. It's better than any other version I've heard and beats the arse out of the BWP version. It has the version of Surf's Up with instruments over it and also has the solo version of Surf's Up, just Brian and a piano. It's compelling beyond words and the only track that has made me cry on the very first listen. His voice is incredible. When he hits 'columnated ruins domino'.. Jesus.

I've got the album on my stereo right now. If anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll email you a copy. I'll probably get round to it over the weekend so don't worry if I don't reply immediately.

Other Beach Boys stuff to get:

The Pet Sounds box set - this is the reason why I have five copies of Pet Sounds now! The stereo mix is great, the demos are cool and it's greta hearing the instruments solo and the vocals solo too. The booklets that come in the package are brilliant too and do give a fair bit of informaiton on the recording process and some of the musical techniques involved. Carol Kaye's interview is especially good.

The Beach Boys Today!/Summer Days and Summer Nights - this is where Brian starts really opening up his artistic side. California Girls leads into Let Him Run Wild on the second of these two albums and that's a pretty fair coupling.

• Members

The Beach Boys are my all time favourite band. Their music makes my soul feel at peace. I can close my eyes and drift off into another world while listening to them. While pet sounds is a classic, i really like some of their recordings in the late 80's and early 90's. Somewhere near japan, off their still crusin' album is what i've been listening to lately and the lead is wonderful. My favorite song however is off the Summer in Paradise album. It is called LaHaina Aloha and is just about the most beautiful song i've ever heard. The intro is amazing and the solo is to die for. It's one of those undiscovered jems. If anyone has Summer in paradise, take a listen to track 9, you will be awe struck.

I got to see carl play live with them about a month before he died. He was on stage in the back and could only play the tambourine, but still wanted to preform because that is what he loved. At one point he dropped the tambourine and could not pick it up. He had to be helped by an assistant to pick it up. Poor old guy. I'm glad i got the chance to see him play at least once.

Archived