What should i do? (head/cab content)

frankiej

• Members

So going along with switching to a head/cab setup.

Going to put my AC15 up for sale and see how much i can get for it.

So the question is should i save up and get a kick ass head? ive been looking at the neptune.

Or should i get an Epi junior and mod it to hell? (give it more headroom along with others)

The most id be willing to spend on a head is $800 or so. But none of those one knob things, i want control. Also they just be for the cleans but OD wouldnt hurt!:love: So maybe 15-20w's

What to do what to do?!:idea:

• Members

for gigging?

so you have $800 for a head and the extra for a cab?

I have an empty 2x12 on the way.

I only go out everyonce and while to jam with friends. This is something id want to keep for a long long time, something that would make wanting a new amp impossible.

• Members

I don't know how much more headroom you can reasonably expect to get from a Valve Jr. Almost certainly not as much as you'd get from a 15-20w amp.

If you want headroom and control, I'd go for an amp that has that before you get out your soldering iron. The Neptune (Electrosonic amps, right?) looks sweet. Do it.

• Members

I don't know how much more headroom you can reasonably expect to get from a Valve Jr. Almost certainly not as much as you'd get from a 15-20w amp.

If you want headroom and control, I'd go for an amp that has that
before
you get out your soldering iron. The Neptune (Electrosonic amps, right?) looks sweet. Do it.

Yes that amp. Id be looking to get a custom one depending on how much it would cost. They have a {censored}load of options and the hybrid power tube idea seems steller. The sound clips are pretty badass as well.

• Members

I have an empty 2x12 on the way.

I only go out everyonce and while to jam with friends. This is something id want to keep for a long long time, something that would make wanting a new amp impossible.

well, the amp above would be awesome. may be too loud for home use though.

• Members

Psh. loudness isnt really a concern. Id cracked my Ac15 for a good hour or so and the cops didnt come so. Plus i think people would rather hear me playing then all the people in the alley across the street from me screaming at eachother for {censored}ing eachothers boy/girlsfriends.

• Members
Tricky. Especially for

But if you're on here, chances are you sell stuff just as fast as the rest of us.

:o

To tell you the truth im actually really happy with my rig. Maybe a new delay and a whammy/exp for my Ps-3 but thats it.

Once i get my Monsterpiece i wont be buying pedals for a long while.

• Members

so what dont you like about the ac15? what are you hoping the head / cab will do that the ac15 doesnt?

What ive been noticing about it is if i take my EQ out of the chain, it sounds like it as a blanket and sounds really muffled. The bass is a bit out of control and isnt realy concentrated, really flabby. The cleans just sound a bit sterile to me now for some reason, not really thick or warm at all.

Probably just the speaker but i was thinking for running the AC15 through the 2x12 once i get some speakers in it to see if that gets what im after. Save me some money.

• Members

What ive been noticing about it is if i take my EQ out of the chain, it sounds like it as a blanket and sounds really muffled. The bass is a bit out of control and isnt realy concentrated, really flabby. The cleans just sound a bit sterile to me now for some reason, not really thick or warm at all.

Probably just the speaker but i was thinking for running the AC15 through the 2x12 once i get some speakers in it to see if that gets what im after. Save me some money.

Yeah, I'd try some new speakers first and foremost. Voxes play well with Alnico speakers, IMO.. which can get pricey but the Weber/WGS alternatives are just as good and would probably be smarter than getting a new head thinking that is the problem.

Just a suggestion, but I would see if any music stores around where you live have any Voxes with Blues. Give that a shot and see if that's a clean that appeals a bit more to you. If not, I'd probably grab an older Bassman head and run it through your 2x12 with some nice speakers thrown in there. Something bright, as it sounds like you're a fan of the sparkly, glassy cleans.

• Members
Put a weber blue or celestian blue in that baby before you sell it. Or sell to me for real cheap.
:love:

Most likely im going to put a Private Jack and a C-rex (subject to change) in the 2x12.

On the eminence site the PJ is an alternative to the Red Fang so.

• Members

do this. the ac15 is a kick ass amp. you can get a great 12" speaker for it for not too much cash.

Yup. i plan on puttin a Private jack, which ive heard is bascially all the goods of the vintage 30's without the shrillness. maybe pair it with a Cannabus Rex?

Archived