Which AC30 to buy?

Loobs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Heritage seems great but honestly, even the CC2 version is really good. It's really hard to tame with single coils but once you get the bright cap value right (in my case about 10pf), it rawks.

Cool.

They seem good value for money, I've heard mixed things about them though.

• Members

Cool.

They seem good value for money, I've heard mixed things about them though.

Some people think that the quality is really bad because it's made in China. The cabinet is built really well, the finish is flawless and the insides look sturdy. Comes with crap tubes (power tubes broke within a few weeks for me) but what amp doesn't?

People who know this stuff think that the CC versions are better than the TBX versions. The PCB layout on the TBX is apparently horrible with power lines going right next to the signal (which will cause noise).

They do however have very high bright cap values. This causes them to be very shrill at lower channel volumes, especially with single coils. If you are a DIY-er, you should order some different values between 10 and 120pf and try what you like the best. If not, be sure to try it before you buy because it can be incredibly bright, even for an AC30.

It's possible that this applies to the heritage versions too though.

• Members

Some people think that the quality is really bad because it's made in China. The cabinet is built really well, the finish is flawless and the insides look sturdy. Comes with crap tubes (power tubes broke within a few weeks for me) but what amp doesn't?

People who know this stuff think that the CC versions are better than the TBX versions. The PCB layout on the TBX is apparently horrible with power lines going right next to the signal (which will cause noise).

They do however have very high bright cap values. This causes them to be very shrill at lower channel volumes, especially with single coils. If you are a DIY-er, you should order some different values between 10 and 120pf and try what you like the best. If not, be sure to try it before you buy because it can be incredibly bright, even for an AC30.

It's possible that this applies to the heritage versions too though.

That is cool. I need to try a CC2 out.

• Members

That is a good point.

I've heard from a number of sources that the Custom Classics "don't really sound like AC30s". I dunno whether that is corksniffery and snobbery or whether there's truth in it.

That could be the case if you A/B a vintage AC30 with NOS tubes and nicely broken in speakers to the CC2. According to Lyle Caldwell who mods AC30s, the CC2 is fairly close to JMI specs (but there are also a few mods you can do yourself to make it even closer).

• Members

The AC30CC's sound more like a good AC30 than the AC15CC sounds like a good AC15. Vox amps are tempremental mother{censored}ers. With a Marshall or a Fender amp, you know what you're going to get but I've never had that feeling with Vox. I think my AC15CC was a lemon, just a bad amp but the guy who bought it from me was very happy.

• Members

Maybe I'll order one of those Valvetech Hayseeds.

I haven't played one, but they're made in my home state of Indiana. Same state where Ted Weber is and Trillium Amps (other awesome stuff is there as well, Indiana is pretty much the state that most Americans consider to be the coolest).

YGPM on the DL4.

The reasons you stated re: ditching the HIWATT seem reasonable, and are certainly the most-oft-cited when moving from a HIWATT to something else. Hope it's at least in 100% shape before you get rid of it so that you're not moving on too soon, ya' know?

Archived