Kurzweil Strings - Beautiful

GigMan

• Members

Ok, here are the answers:

The two devices I used were:

orch2brd1.jpg

- Roland SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II expansion board for Roland JV/XP series of synths

RM126-medium.jpg

- Kurzweil Orchestral ROM Sound Block for K2000 series of synths

The sounds were as follows:

Example 1: ROLAND - patch 001 StStrOrc p/f

Example 2: KURZWEIL - patch 954 Baroque Strg Ens

Example 3: ROLAND - patch 008 FourSeasons2

Example 4: ROLAND - patch 012 RichSymphony

Example 5: KURZWEIL - patch 955 Big String Ens

Example 6: KURZWEIL - patch 949 Touch Strings

The human minds plays strange games, I'm sure many of you will be surprised at the idea you have of a certain instrument, now that you know which is which - :)

___

• Members

For what it's worth - and probably no much since you've listed them already - I got 5 right. The one that threw me was #5. I couldn't remember a quick swell string like that in the Kurzweil set and because of the 'girth' of the sound thought it might be Roland and that I screwed another one up...
As Cygnus64 said - neither are necessarilly superior - but I hold to my original statement that Kurzweil strings (and most Kurzweil sounds in general) will hold up to denser arrangements better. Much like a pair of quality large diaphram condensors may sound great on an acoustic guitar for solo use, but the small diameter condensors make it sound more 'greater' when in a dense mix.

• Members

Wow, thanks, Paolo! I discovered that I like Roland strings (#1 and #4 were my favorites). I never would have thought this to be the case as I don't own a single contemporary piece of Roland gear (I have a MKS-80 and D-550, however!). Maybe its time to re-think some things..... Thanks again!

• Members

Wow, thanks, Paolo! I discovered that I like Roland strings (#1 and #4 were my favorites). I never would have thought this to be the case as I don't own a single contemporary piece of Roland gear (I have a MKS-80 and D-550, however!). Maybe its time to re-think some things..... Thanks again!

You're very welcome, actually the newer SRX boards are even better...

____

• Members
Er... how can you have 5 right if there are six examples? It's four or all
:D
____

Simple, I went with what sounded like Kurz or Roland to me, not 3+3.
I'm still amazed at what the old Roland SE-1 box can do if you spend enough time figuring out how to play each patch. I remember reading a lot of user reviews when it was new about how it sounded thin and unnatural and was hard to 'play'. I picked one up a couple years ago and was surprised at how 'real' it could sound if you would assemble your parts like an ensemble and figure out how the programmers assigned CC's to particular playing styles for each voice.

BTW - thanks for posting the sounds.

• Members

I have a PC2X and I totally dig it. It is the best gigging keyboard I have ever had. The strings and piano and most of the other sounds are great. I got an early model so I had to buy the expansion board and it was well worth it. It gave me more strings and a bunch of orchestral sounds. I think that the new models come with this standard.

• Members

have u tried marcato strings from roland JV expansions? so warm and perfect
korg wavestation's strings are also nice
im saving money for PC3X

For the last few wedding band gigs I used my Roland FP2 as my bottom keyboard (w/the Triton Le as the top tier kybd.) - since the FP2 has 88 keys & is lightweight

But I'm tired of the FP2's tinny/metallic sounding piano & have gone back to my trusty old Ensoniq KS32 MIDI'ed up to a Kurzweil MicroPiano module...

Was practicing a tune tonite on the KS32/MicroPiano rig a for wedding gig tmw. and realized how lush and gorgeous the strings are coming out of the MicroPiano! Wow - for a 13yr. old unit it still sounds damn good... the strings blow away what's in the Roland FP2, that's for sure.

Since I use acoustic piano w/strings layered over it a lot - I wonder if I should Kurzweil's offerings in the 88 key weighted 'boards more seriously: the PC1X, PC2X & the new PC3 which apparently doesn't exist yet...
:lol:

Since the strings are such a big part of my sound - maybe I should listen more carefully to the other guys' strings (Yam. S90ES, Roland RD700SX) instead of focusing so much on the piano sounds...
:thu:

• Members

I have a PC2X and I totally dig it. It is the best gigging keyboard I have ever had. The strings and piano and most of the other sounds are great. I got an early model so I had to buy the expansion board and it was well worth it. It gave me more strings and a bunch of orchestral sounds. I think that the new models come with this standard.

Yes, they are:

...PC3X Factory Presets: 832 Factory Programs- Includes complete PC2 Base Sound ROM, the Orchestral, Classic Keys, General MIDI set, 64 KB3 programs PLUS new String Section ROM Bank...

• Members
You got two out of six correct
:)

But there's absolutely no right or wrong here... I stand by my idea that the Roland sound "warmer" and more "pad like", whereas the Kurzweil are a bit "more clinical and precise", and sample-accurate lifelike... or something like that.

:D

Exactly why we chose Kurzweils --for all three studios :cool:

Archived