Did Randy Rhoads actually use a chorus effect on "Mr. Crowley"?

petejt

• Members

It sounds like he did to me, especially on the rhythm guitar tone. It's subtle, but, somehow it does sound like it on the original song.

Here's a live performance of the song. I think the chorus is there too?

[YOUTUBE]WLi_S-x8pwg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure that Zakk Wylde does. He managed to get the chorused distortion/distorted chorus sound without the cheese.

[YOUTUBE]DM9n96CgzfU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

RR did a lot of double-tracking, so if his tuning or timing was slightly off, whether on by accident or on purpose, it might account for the chorus-y sound comes from on the original. Not sure I can hear any chorus on the live RR live version.

Zakk Wylde definitely does have a chorus on his board (BOSS CE-5, unless he's been paid to endorse a Dunlop one yet...), but he's not a guitar player I'd describe as "not cheesy" without some serious qualification of the statement... :wave:

• Members

RR did a lot of double-tracking, so if his tuning or timing was slightly off, whether on by accident or on purpose, it might account for the chorus-y sound comes from on the original. Not sure I can hear any chorus on the live RR live version.

Zakk Wylde definitely does have a chorus on his board (BOSS CE-5, unless he's been paid to endorse a Dunlop one yet...), but he's not a guitar player I'd describe as "not cheesy" without some serious qualification of the statement...
:wave:

+1 to all of this.

• Members

Zakk Wylde definitely does have a chorus on his board (BOSS CE-5, unless he's been paid to endorse a Dunlop one yet...), but he's not a guitar player I'd describe as "not cheesy" without some serious qualification of the statement...

mhm

• Members

Lol I know what you mean ;)

I just mean that the way his chorus effects sound, doesn't sound cheesey.

'cause usually chorus gets a bad rap because, somehow the way its been used several times, definitely does go beyond rank cheese...

But otherwise, Zakk usually does sound rather cheesey, especially those excessive pinch harmonics :facepalm:

• Members

RR did a lot of double-tracking, so if his tuning or timing was slightly off, whether on by accident or on purpose, it might account for the chorus-y sound comes from on the original. Not sure I can hear any chorus on the live RR live version.:

I think that's why I'm confused about this. I do know that Randy double-tracked everything he recorded, so yeah there is the possibility that the chorusing was 'natural' due to said double-tracking.

Archived