amp for bass and guitar: what are my options?

RadioSilence

• Members

i play guitar and bass equally as much so having one amp i could play both through would be convenient. ideally i'd want a 2x12 combo, or head + 2x12 at around 50 watts but 1x12 wouldn't be such a hardship, nor would a higher wattage; i'm just looking for any suggestions really.

so far i've come up with an old bassman or jc-120. any others you can think of?

• Members

Bassman, Twin, Dual Showman

If you're going to be playing at high volumes I would get an actual bass cab to go with it though. Chances are you wouldn't blow a guitar speaker but ya never know... it has happened before.

You may suffer a bit with the EQ because most guitar amp EQ's don't sweep low enough to really hit the sweet spot of a bass. It's not as big a deal as most people in this thread will make it though.

• Members

Depends on the kind of music you play but i use an old polytone for bass and guitar, and it doesnt KILL for either instrument, but its VERY usable. I mean its a solid state amp but its very versatile. Send it through another cabinet and you'll get a lot of sound.

And DON'T get one of the new ones, just track down an old one.

• Members
yeah, but the $.

trying to go far value. if money was no option i'd just have a guitar amp and a bass amp.

but yeah, i'd love a bassman
:cry:

Not sure on a 2x12, but I HIGHLY recommend the Fender Princeton 65 for this. They go for a little over $100 used, and sound great for bass and guitar. Nice Fender cleans for guitar, and a smooth, vintagey bass tone.

The stock speaker is even holding up fine for bass. However, it may be wise to put a bass speaker in it if you intend to really crank it up.

• Members

Depends on the kind of music you play but i use an old polytone for bass and guitar, and it doesnt KILL for either instrument, but its VERY usable. I mean its a solid state amp but its very versatile. Send it through another cabinet and you'll get a lot of sound.

And DON'T get one of the new ones, just track down an old one.

I read that Polytone amps aren't very reliable, is this true?

• Members

try most of the old 60's or 70's guitar valve amps, they are fit to get both signals as long as the cab is appropriate.

Bassman is one but you got loads of other british makers like selmer, laney, simms-watts that made amps that were used by both kind of players.

• Members

seriously dude, see if you can find a used Plush or Earth amp on ebay/CL they're pretty well the same circuit as the Showman.. mine has a matching 2x15... it's about 100watts, but that's enough for me and the guitar tone is great...

• Members

I read that Polytone amps aren't very reliable, is this true?

For the new ones, absolutely. Not reliable. But i have a late 80's model and i have beat the {censored} out of it and its worked fine. I did blow a fuse or something right after i bought it, but since then its been totally fine.

• Members
try most of the old 60's or 70's guitar valve amps, they are fit to get both signals as long as the cab is appropriate.

Bassman is one but you got loads of other british makers like selmer, laney, simms-watts that made amps that were used by both kind of players.

yeah! selmer treble n bass! there used to be one of them at our practice room ten years ago, i'd completely forgotten about them :lol:

Archived