Non-musical influences that influence your music?

CicadaSilence

• Members

• Christopher Walken.

I love his approach to dialogue. I remember someone telling me that he rewrites his copy of the script, and adds in punctuation where he feels it's appropriate. I'm not sure if this is true, but the way he delivers his lines leads me to believe it's possible. I try to use similar ideas when phrasing lines on an instrument.

cool idea for a thread. I just want to correct this Walken thing a bit. What he says he does with a script is to remove the punctuation from his lines as well as emotional notes in parentheses, like "(happily)" and then, of course, he interprets them however he feels. I've seen this written up as some sort of innovation on his part, but it's not really that big of a deal. One of the first things they teach you in film school is the "proper" way to write a script, and part of that is to leave out stuff like emotional directions and most punctuation, like exclamation points. Of course, these days, most movie scripts don't use the "proper" form, so there's alot of that stuff in there. Walken is basically just making the script more like it was back when he started in movies, and maybe going a step further.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aha, got it. I figured most actors tend to write themselves notes and reinterpretations of their parts.

Still, Walken's delivery is pretty unusual, and his timing is very interesting. It's those particular ideas I try to cop when improvising and composing.

Thanks for clearing that up. :thu:

• Members

This might seem lame, but when I was a kid I lived on an island in the Puget Sound is Washington. The point we lived on is in the rain shadow of the Olympics so it didn't rain like in Seattle, but everyday the fog rolled in - morning and afternoon - It almost seemed random.

I've been chasing the sound of that for as long as I've been making music - reverb, delay, waves of sound.

I went back there last month for the first time in 30 years and I figured out that that place had been affecting so much over the years - My taste in sound being the least of it - but still - It's been affecting my headspace for a long time.

Lame - maybe - but cool.

(When I up there in August, I made sure that I made some field recordings - There's a buoy out in front of the point that is just barely audible from the cliffs/beach. I've used that kind of sound in so many things over the years - never related it until I actually heard it again. Can't wait to use the actual source in something. )

• Members

This might seem lame, but when I was a kid I lived on an island in the Puget Sound is Washington. The point we lived on is in the rain shadow of the Olympics so it didn't rain like in Seattle, but everyday the fog rolled in - morning and afternoon - It almost seemed random.

I've been chasing the sound of that for as long as I've been making music - reverb, delay, waves of sound.

I went back there last month for the first time in 30 years and I figured out that that place had been affecting so much over the years - My taste in sound being the least of it - but still - It's been affecting my headspace for a long time.

Lame - maybe - but cool.

(When I up there in August, I made sure that I made some field recordings - There's a buoy out in front of the point that is just barely audible from the cliffs/beach. I've used that kind of sound in so many things over the years - never related it until I actually heard it again. Can't wait to use the actual source in something. )

Awesome!

Archived