Let's Talk Distortion

SliceOPie

• Members

There are so many opinions on great distortion and so many flavors to choose from that I thought it might be cool to get as many voices to name there pedal and what it is they like so much about it.

LOVETONE BIG CHEESE!

Fender Telecaster w/ Seymour Duncan Humbucker in the rhythm and a Hot Rail in the lead. Through any tube amp, in particular Fender Vibroverb and Rivera Fifty Five Twelve I can really push the tubes with the BIG CHEESE. I get thick rich fuzz or that biting brittle crunch. Simple to dial in killer sounds. Man do I love this pedal. Really does the trick.

A less expensive alternative and simpler pedal that I also really like is the Boss Blues Driver.

Two solid distortion pedals.

• Members

if anyone can tell me about the mi audio blues pro,
that would be great.
i'm using a tubescreamer to boost my dirty channel right now,
but i think the blues pro might give my tele more balls.

if you saw my other thread hijacking,
please don't be giving me the evils.

• Members

if anyone can tell me about the mi audio blues pro,

that would be great.

i'm using a tubescreamer to boost my dirty channel right now,

but i think the blues pro might give my tele more balls.

if you saw my other thread hijacking,

please don't be giving me the evils.

I have the Blues Pro, and I love it. Less mid-hump than the tube screamer, and more gain (as far as I can tell). Also, it cleans up very nicely, and makes an awesome gain boost. I run mine in front of my modded DS-1, and it sounds fantastic (a lot more brutal for sure). I was previously using a Boss OD-3, but the Blues Pro just sounds a lot fuller and more natural to my ears. Additionally, it has a sweet fuzz switch on the back of it, which totally changes the pedal's tonal characteristics. Totally worth it IMHO.

• Members

I have the Blues Pro, and I love it. Less mid-hump than the tube screamer, and more gain (as far as I can tell). Also, it cleans up very nicely, and makes an awesome gain boost. I run mine in front of my modded DS-1, and it sounds fantastic (a lot more brutal for sure). I was previously using a Boss OD-3, but the Blues Pro just sounds a lot fuller and more natural to my ears. Additionally, it has a sweet fuzz switch on the back of it, which totally changes the pedal's tonal characteristics. Totally worth it IMHO.

What you say is all true as well as it has much more bottom end than a TS. Almost get's into distortion land but can smooth out very well. I love mine!

• Members

I'm using a Das Fuzz Ge these days for most my distortion needs. Basically a Fuzz Face with some added features.
When I pull back the volume on my guitar I get crystal clean. A little more up the way I get a really nice overdrive. Full volume a really fat fuzz but not messy. It's clean enough to still hear notes and palm mute. Sort of an all in one'r. :cool:

• Members

Most people would think I'm nuts, but I'm quite pleased with the sound I get from my DS-1. Then again I crank the level, turn down the distortion and use it to more like a boost pedal with the preamp at 10 and the pull boost engaged on the amp. I get some pretty decent heavy sounds.

That said I think the DS-1 will get shelved once my radial plexitube distortion gets here. (hurry up UPS man, every time you drive by I run to the window).

Archived