Here is why actually playing a keyboard might be a good idea.

Prog

• Members
Dude, you're an idiot. The backing track is playing in the key of C# (I used 554.37Hz). That's not 1.5 semitones.
:D
Which part of your bass did you grab?
:p

Yes, that whole disaster was amatuer hour mistakes. None of them should have happened.

No, you're an idiot.

It IS 1.5 semitones - plain as day.

Next.

Hey, someone else grab a guitar and try this and tell me how YOU would compensate.

The note is in between frets - plain and simple.

But yeah, I guess I'm wrong, and the poster of the video is wrong.

Anyone else want to step up to the plate?

• Members

Play along with the clip. See what key the track is in.

I did.

>

It's an in between key - not quite C# maybe less than a quarter tone but still very noticeable beating.

I'll try it again when I get home, maybe my bass was slightly out of tune but not likely...

Personally i think they should have stopped the show, that was bloody awful - on that we agree.

• Members

I have a very strong opinion of using keyboards during a live performance. I believe that if there are keyboards required in a song they should be used live. No matter what! It shows a lack of concern by the band or performer to the fans/crowd when full attention is not given to the "realness" of the sound.

I'm saying this in relation to top performers not cover bands or bar bands.

Anyone ever hear about Tony Kaye having a keyboardist playing underneath the stage during the 90120 live shows?

I do not understand the mindset of a person that is hired to play behind or underneath the stage. I would never do this. Only, just only if there was a large dollar amount offered to me.

• Members

I have a very strong opinion of using keyboards during a live performance. I believe that if there are keyboards required in a song they should be used live. No matter what!

hmm. So chas, what do you say to this?

Here's Yellow Magic Orchestra performing Rydeen in 1980:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCizQz1daSs&mode=related&search=

And then in 2007:

Note that they took away a keyboardist and started sequencing the main hook. (he plays it once, then it's all macbook :rolleyes:)

But no worries, I only mention this one because they already have so many lovely boards on stage :cop:

• Members

hmm. So chas, what do you say to this?

Here's Yellow Magic Orchestra performing
Rydeen
in 1980:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCizQz1daSs&mode=related&search=

And then in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfhOpnYLP8&mode=related&search=

Note that they took away a keyboardist and started sequencing the main hook. (he plays it once, then it's all macbook
:rolleyes:
)

But no worries, I only mention this one because they already have so many lovely boards on stage
:cop:

I was thinking of a straight recording. Something that cannot be controlled or overseen.

I do not understand the mindset of a person that is hired to play behind or underneath the stage. I would never do this. Only, just only if there was a large dollar amount offered to me.

I've done that before, whereas inserting diskettes into the keyboards to trigger the sequences -back in early 90's- or actually playing backstage.

Money was good and it looks great on my resume.

... OTOH, you can be hired to play music you do not like at all and no one see you doing so :D

• Members

Personally i think they should have stopped the show, that was bloody awful - on that we agree.

Yup!

Were they using a computer setup? I wouldn't have had the option of changing the sample rate on playback available. Why was anyone even fekking around with it?

Archived