Automotive Bailout? are they friggin' kidding?

jorhay1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its not a loan. you argue just to argue and its lolerful.

so AIG (who got 150 billion as of last week) shouldn't have to pay back anything and three of the biggest employers in the US shouldn't even get a loan worth a fraction of that?

please make sense of that to me?

• Members
I'll have to totally disagree. Not sure where you have worked, or how old you are. Perhaps this was true in 1972, but every job i ever had where there were more than 10 people in the workplace any hard work i did was usually unnoticed by anyone of consequence. when reviews came up working my ass off, or doing just enough to keep my job, had a remote chance of being the difference between a 1% and 3% pay raise.

Today in the US if you work in manufacturing, you are usually hired as a temp, and only hope to get hired on... Getting hired on usually has more to do with where the company is at in their cycle of hiring, and the limits of how long they are allowed to contract you as a temp.

You can spend a lot of time out on the floor in a place like that and never even meet the guys making the decisions. getting ahead has more to do with the dynamics of personal relationships in a place like this. I've seen way to many people get ahead when others were obviously more qualified, worked harder and just gave more of a {censored} about what they were doing as opposed to ass kissing and blind ambition.

Oh, ok. I guess my experiences are nil then. The only way I really got ahead was kissing ass rather than obviously being an asset to the company. :rolleyes:

• Members

ummmm just go on to a lot, and look for comperable cars

say a ford focus, and a honda civic. I'm not talking sticker price, but actual price paid. in 2000 i bought my ford focus for 11K brand new, with AC, options, bigger engine, pretty much everything but the auto transmission.

I tried to buy a honda, but the cheap civic was way under powered, no AC, not nothing, and the ones that weren't were all like $16K.

I've had the focus for 8 years and no reliability issues at all.

I'm sorry, but the honda is made with higher quality parts with tighter tolerances. Here's how it goes for parts quality and tolerances: u.s.-> japan-> germany.

• Members

I'm sorry, but the honda is made with higher quality parts with tighter tolerances. Here's how it goes for parts quality and tolerances: u.s.-> japan-> germany.

that's your opinion but in my experience (I've had all three) they all use pretty cheap ass {censored} these days.

• Members

This is what i don't understand:

I guy steals money in a bank in an island in the Caribbean and the USA goverment is all over it saying that if those guys don't go to prison the USA gov will be mad, bla bla bla....

They do the same {censored} here and the USA gov is bailing all of those thieves out.

WTF?????

Why the 2 faces???

• Members

now yr coming back around to kaizen, tqm etc...
:thu:

Keep in mind Ford's CEO Alan Mulally has a huge boner for the Kaizen JIT system of Toyota. He successfully used it to turn around Boeing. And it's implementation in Ford has made them the highest quality domestic automaker. Their small cars are on par quality wise with Toyota's (as per consumer reports). The major thing that keeps people from buying is stigma. Or most probably poor past experiences.

• Members

Keep in mind Ford's CEO Alan Mulally has a huge boner for the Kaizen JIT system of Toyota. He successfully used it to turn around Boeing. And it's implementation in Ford has made them the highest quality domestic automaker. Their small cars are on par quality wise with Toyota's (as per consumer reports). The major thing that keeps people from buying is stigma. Or most probably poor past experiences.

It's tough to pull it off. In my experience middle management are the most resistant.

• Members

Oh their superiority is definitely due to their culture and approach to things. Ive never denied that....and my uncle actually noted this is the reason why their parts and tolerances are.

I don't care what your uncle says about tolerances, jap/german cars fall apart/rust just the same as american cars.

when your window drops into the door and won't come up again or the door handle breaks off you don't give a {censored} about tolerances.

• Members

I don't care what your uncle says about tolerances, jap/german cars fall apart/rust just the same as american cars.

when your window drops into the door and won't come up again or the door handle breaks off you don't give a {censored} about tolerances.

Robopimp, how old are you?

• Members

Robopimp, how old are you?

I'm going to have to agree with Robo here. You make an unfounded claim without any backup.

Lets say in fact Company A uses higher tolerances for a part then Company B does, but company B designs a part better suited for its purpose then Company A. Which one will last longer? Which one will work better? Exactly. Tolerance of parts is one one piece of the pie.

• Members

I'm going to have to agree with Robo here. You make an unfounded claim without any backup.

Lets say in fact Company A uses higher tolerances for a part then Company B does, but company B designs a part better suited for its purpose then Company A. Which one will last longer? Which one will work better? Exactly. Tolerance of parts is one one piece of the pie.

Did I say it was the only piece? jeezus.....

• Members

you didn't say anything, it's second hand opinion from your uncle
:lol:

so therefore I wasnt claiming it to be "the whole pie," so to speak. my uncle is a designer for dura automotive and his clients and competitors are all around the world. Indeed thats only once facet of the construction of a car, but its a pretty important one and could (and I believe is) a part pf a trend within the specific sector.

• Members

I like this:

well the plane trip cost $20,000 x 3 $60,000...

AIG's big wigs all went on a $440,000 luxury spa AFTER they got their first 85 billion dollars in bailout cash...

WHY is the government riding the car companies so hard for a "measly" 25 billion but not these fat cats?

• Members

{censored}ty thing is whos gonna take over the pensions and the other legacy costs of the automakers? US tax payer. Whos gonna make up for the lost tax revenue? How many (nonprivate jet having) jobs could be lost almost overnight? $25B loan now or 100s of billions. Basically it boils down to tax payers and normal working stiffs once again. Too many people drank the deregulation koolaid.... Now capitalism has entered it's cancer stage. I doubt the automakers really want the loan anyway. This provides them the opportunity to break the unions.

One sentiment I agree with Echo about, they either die now or die later... BUT thats how I see capitalism in general. Without regulation it consumes itself much faster than it does with regulation.

Archived