Automotive Bailout? are they friggin' kidding?

jorhay1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There doesn't have to be a reason for it; CEO's are taking giant portions of the profit at the expense of worker's wages. Just plain and simple.

The fact is stockholders (and the board) approve the wages. If they don't approve a high enough wage their big named stock raising CEO will go somewhere and raise some other companies stock. And the cycle oscillates out of control. Once companies start to operate on a "whats best for the consumer" instead of a "whats best for the stock price" mindset we will be much better off.

• Members

The fact is stockholders (and the board) approve the wages. If they don't approve a high enough wage their big named stock raising CEO will go somewhere and raise some other companies stock.

Interesting, I didn't know stockholders approve the wages. Wouldn't stock ownership monopolies (board members carrying >50% of the stocks) kind of cancel that out then?

• Members

Interesting, I didn't know stockholders approve the wages. Wouldn't stock ownership monopolies (board members carrying >50% of the stocks) kind of cancel that out then?

Effectively yes, a lot of companies are owned 51% by one person or a parent company to keep complete control of the company.

• Members

The picture is bigger than that. The US' trade share with the developing world is miniscule, and developing world products are viewed as inferior goods. Furthermore, despite the pushing of the Washington Agenda (something I am in favor of), the US has not kept up its end of the deal; textiles, for example, have a huge trade disparity. We can trade to them, but they can't trade to us.

So they cant afford what we make but we can theirs.

• Members

The fact is stockholders (and the board) approve the wages. If they don't approve a high enough wage their big named stock raising CEO will go somewhere and raise some other companies stock. And the cycle oscillates out of control. Once companies start to operate on a "whats best for the consumer" instead of a "whats best for the stock price" mindset we will be much better off.

Amen! The happy side effect of that is they will weigh the short term gains against long term viability.

• Members

....Once companies start to operate on a "whats best for the consumer" instead of a "whats best for the stock price" mindset we will be much better off.

but something seriously missing is: If you wanna be a car company, build & sell cars that'll keep you in business. if you cannot, then just get the {censored} out of the car biz. if you wanna be a finance company, just be a finance company, and fail at that instead.

• Members

Do they buy and hold onto US debt?

I don't really know what you're asking, all that I can tell you is that they unpegged the Yuan in 2006. I'm on your side here, Nick (I think), just think of me as a fact checker though.

• Members
I made my living in corp aviation, and air taxi charters. There are lots of reasons why the top execs fly private corp aircraft. its way more effecient for guys at this level to use a corp plane. You take off when you want to take off ,, you land where you want to land. These guys do conduct business on the plane..... to and from. Their time is valuable. It took me pretty well all day just getting back from texas to michigan yesterday on the airlines. These guys cant afford to spend their time jumping through all the hoops that airline travel requires these days. Hell a fukin single engine bonanza can beat the airlines on that trip we made. Its all about time and money and effeciency.

Poor little multi-million dollar paid CEOs. They can't afford to wait in the airport lines like the rest of us. :facepalm:

I guess they've never heard of WebEx.

Archived