how to simulate a FLANGE sound WITHOUT a FLANGE PEDAL

bmast160

• Members

if you're running a guitar setup in stereo is there a way to simulate a flange sound instead of using a flange pedal? could you use a pedal on just the left or right channel to slightly delay the one channel to create the effect?

also isnt a chorus the same as a flange in that they both create a copy of the original sound and put it out of phase a bit...the only difference with the flange is that the degree that it is out of phase fluctuates...right?

• Members

A flanger has feedback which a chorus does not have and the delay times are significantly shorter. Its unlikely that you wll find a delay pedal with delay time short enough to simulate flange. Why the aversion to just using a flanger?

just wanted to see if it could be done without buying a new pedal and i dont want to buy a cheap pedal to get the sound...hoping that i could use one of the good pedals that i have already. i read that flange is just what you'd get if you recorded the same guitar onto two tape recorders at once and during replay, slowed one of them down just a little by putting your finger on the reel...so i was thinking that if i had a stereo setup and was able to slow either the right or left signal down it would be a flange sound. dont some delay pedals have a time knob that delays the original attack by a bit...

i think a line 6 verbzilla can even do this

• Members

just wanted to see if it could be done without buying a new pedal and i dont want to buy a cheap pedal to get the sound...hoping that i could use one of the good pedals that i have already. i read that flange is just what you'd get if you recorded the same guitar onto two tape recorders at once and during replay, slowed one of them down just a little by putting your finger on the reel...so i was thinking that if i had a stereo setup and was able to slow either the right or left signal down it would be a flange sound. dont some delay pedals have a time knob that delays the original attack by a bit...

there are some cheap DOD flangers that sound pretty good

• Members
I use two amps and spin one around on a lazy susan type table. No tap tempo but it sounds good.

thats a leslie... :cop:

No I'd do as mentioned above, if you want a flange bust open your recording software and delay two of the same tracks in a range of roughly 5 to ten miliseconds to induce flanging. Anything more and you will be moving into chorus range.

• Members
go ghetto.

get a {censored}ty amp -> put a {censored}ty fan in front of it -> mic the fan -> run the mic into a {censored}ty pa

More of a trem sound, but I LOVE the idea! Like some sort of ghetto avant garde McGuyver. :eek:

• Members

Sounds like either way you will be buying a pedal to accomplish the goal. Flanger pedals are readily available in many styles. A delay pedal that would only delay the signal by fractions of a millisecond doesn't exist and you would have to modulate it with an LFO. You would also only get the ideal effect at a very specific place in front of the amps through air mixing of the effect. Its a neat idea that just doesn't work out in real life.

• Members

what about the tape echo on a dl4?

2 DL4s in parallel probably would, if you could set the wow/flutter on the repeats.

i've never really owned a dl4, only borrowed a friends...but i do believe that there is a control function for wow/flutter, unless it was for modulation... cant really remember what the other controls were on them.

• Members

if you are recording you can just duplicate the track, and stick one a little bit behind the other.

I tried that and it just phase-cancels the signal, making it thin.

It's a tricky process if you're going to do it that way. It's not the same as playing two tapes together and pushing on the flanged bit of the head & reel (hence the term FLANGER effect) to slow it down.

Archived