Tuner, Hardwire, Pitchblack, or Peterson

Uncle_Milton

• Members

Digitech Hardwire - I was told these are as acurate as the pitch black, but I have no real evidence to support that. Cheepest

Korg Pitchblack + - Cheeper than the peterson, very accurate

Peterson Strobestomp - Heard it's the best, and I will never need another tuner ever again.

What are your recommendations? Will I be satisfied with the less expensive options or would you suggest I just go for the Peterson and be done with it? I'm not someone who has to have the best {censored} out there, I just want something that will be good enough, to last me for pretty much a decade.

Help MEEEEE

• Members

All tuners are going to be equally accurate these days. Generally speaking +/- 1 cent.

I'd say get a Korg CA-30, tune your guitar outside of your setup and don't worry about a stomp box tuner. It's $15. Does your guitar go out of tune so often you need to re-tune it all the time?

I don't know how good these are: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Chromatic-Clip-On-Tuner?sku=500118 but it'll stay out of your loop completely for obvious reasons.

Sorry, I've been anti-stomp-box-tuner for a very long time. I just don't see why people spend so much on them.

• Members

False.

Also, +1 on TurboTuner. Or, Pitchblack if you can't afford it. Skip the hardwire.

Citation?

OK, maybe Qwiktunes aren't that good. I don't know if I've ever used a tuner worse than +/- 1 cent though. You know that the pitch of a plucked guitar string will change up to 3 cents over the course of it's decay, right?

• Members

Does anyone know if the Hardwire is using the tact switch switching system like the old Digitech pedals?

How important is a buffer in a tuner pedal?

Why not just put the amp on standby, turn around without saying anything for the 3 minutes it takes to tune like Hooya says

and whats for dinner???

• Members
Add
THIS
to your list. I've never tried one but a lot of people think this is a Strobostomp killer.

It's relatively cheap, small and is supposed to be very well built and accurate.

st2-249h.jpg

I have one and it indeed is a SS killer, I flipped my SS the day after I got my ST-200.

Super accurate, very fast tracking, and built like a brick {censored}house. If you don't need the DI capability of the SS, then I'd definitely recommend it.

• Members

Glad I'm not the only one. But does it really take you 3 minutes to tune?

Really, $100 for a tuner.... Aren't you all saving up for Klons?

Depends on the riffage I just laid down.

I wish Gibson would tell people to change those Kluson always out of {censored}ing tune tuning keys

Deluxe my ass

• Members
Add
THIS
to your list. I've never tried one but a lot of people think this is a Strobostomp killer.

It's relatively cheap, small and is supposed to be very well built and accurate.

st2-249h.jpg

...I want one of those to replace my TU-2 so bad. I need every inch of space I can get on the PT Jr.

• Members

Uh, the answer is spectacularly obvious: it's easier to step on a pedal. Since it's easier, you're more likely to do it. If you're doing it more often, your closer to being in tune more often. If you're in tune, you sound better. If you sound better, you get better gigs. If you get better gigs, you prod higher quality poon (or ride higher quality rod, depending on your preference).

Probably stew, since the weather sucks.

I miss anything else?

• Members

I have one and it indeed is a SS killer, I flipped my SS the day after I got my ST-200.

Super accurate, very fast tracking, and built like a brick {censored}house. If you don't need the DI capability of the SS, then I'd definitely recommend it.

Agree with all of what erksin says here. I just gave my Strobostomp away last week to a good buddy, the Turbo Tuner is excellent.

• Members

ermghoti II:

Again, the pitch of a plucked guitar string changes more than 1 cent over the course of its decay, so it doesn't matter how accurate your tuner is, there is no such thing as a perfectly in tune guitar. Hell, the amount of pressure you apply to the strings with your left hand effects pitch more than the accuracy of that tuner reports. (something I've never seen in any other tuner, even the Pitchblack only states +/- 1) Since that's the case, I argue against spending $130 on a tuner. That's all.

Now, your most recent response, saying that it's purely for convenience is more convincing. Again though, I'll be inconvenienced a tiny bit in this case for $70-115 price difference and a spot on my pedalboard. I will again argue that a properly set up instrument shouldn't lose it's tune over the course of a set unless you are using some brootalz level force with your right hand, in which case, again, the pitch of the string is changing due to the force you strike it at, and so intonation is going to be a bit whack anyway.

I get it, I understand why people like pedal tuners for the convenience factor. But if you really want convenience, install one of these:

picture-1.jpg

for the same price as a Pitchblack. Then you won't even need your pedalboard or your ears to be in tune! Although it's a whole crappy +/-2 cents accuracy.

• Members

I don't like the size of the Peterson, or the fact that it's only a strobe tuner. I'm sure it's great but the Pitchblack is the tuner, really. They did everything perfectly right with that one.

Throw away your other stuff and get the Korg.

Archived