Nord Electro - Help me convince myself to buy one!

New Trail

• Members

Recently played a gig and a local hardcore B3 musician came running up to me at the break incredulous that my Nord electro 61 could sound sooooo good!!! (thru a Motion Sound stereo amp). He was unfamiliar with Nords, and was shocked.

The stereo amp is the frosting on the cake...the Nord, and other clonewheels, is sampled in stereo, so the rotary simulation is fully unleashed with stereo..(FOH is mono, though, but it works).

• Members

This board gets a lot of press on this forum and others. Have you searched around for previous reviews, commentaries, lovers, haters, etc?

I am a fan boy of the Electro, no surprise there. I've been gigging with one for over 5 years. It is a very simple and extremely musical keyboard. It is not bathed in reverb or cheesy FX like many rompler solutions. It is very much like plugging in a real Rhodes, Wurly, Clav D6, CP80 and Hammond in a

Quite simply, the Electro rocks.

Outkaster, this thread is for you, brother!!! :wave:

• Members

does any one have any idea when is clavia upgrading to a electro 3? if ever?

An Electro w/ the latest OS (3.04, I think) is technically a Nord Electro 3. The only difference between the Nord Electro and the Nord Electro 2 was the OS. But at this point I don't think they're going to mess with success. ;)

• Members

I was looking to spend less - so I got the NE61. I don't miss the extra keys and saved about $300. Definitely the most satisfying keyboard I've owned. No complaints at all - as long I play it thru my Motion Sound 200s amp. As has been mentioned, I think a stereo amp is really essential with this keyboard.

• Members

If you want piano sounds get a Yamaha S-90. It will compliment the Electro fine.

Yamaha's piano sounds are definitely great, but a large part of the appeal of the NE2 to me is the ability to do the job well with just the one board. I saw an up-and-coming Nashville country singer (whose name I can't remember) play here locally and his keyboard player had 61 key and was able to switch effortlessly between B3 and Rhoades. That really impressed me. Plus, he carried it in under his arm like a notepad!!!

• Members

I've been playing the Electro 73 since version 1 came out and I wouldn't trade it for any keyboard. It does the bread and butter sounds I need like nothing else. I'm always getting compliments on how good it sounds from people who can't believe it's coming out of this little red keyboard.

• Members

I'm the only player I know of around these parts with an Electro (rack version, sitting on my P120) and get a ton of compliments on my sound. I used to have the Korg CX3 and prefer the Electro's tone and C/V (although the Korg was a dream to play).

Recently at a rehearsal, someone's rambunctious Lab ran into my cables plugged into the rack, it yanked it off my piano (at above-the-waist level) to where it bounced off a concrete floor. Dented in one corner and the fuse popped out, I took off the casing and fastened a screw knocked loose, put it back together and screwed the fuse back in, worked fine. Then I killed the dog (just kidding).

• Members

Yamaha's piano sounds are definitely great, but a large part of the appeal of the NE2 to me is the ability to do the job well with just the one board. I saw an up-and-coming Nashville country singer (whose name I can't remember) play here locally and his keyboard player had 61 key and was able to switch effortlessly between B3 and Rhoades. That really impressed me. Plus, he carried it in under his arm like a notepad!!!

I see. It is just I play double manual keyboard so I have a Hammond and top and play right handed organ parts left handed so I always gig with a minimum of two boards. One of them has to be wieghted.

Archived