Questions about Squire guitars

MickTaylorFan

• Members

I'm looking for an inexpensive guitar that can take some abuse but still sound decent. Something that I can take to the more questionable gigs without worrying too much about dings and scratches, but doesn't sound/play like crap, so my questions are:

Does anyone gig with a Squire?

Is it your main guitar?

Do you like the quality ect.?

What kind do you have?

My budget is $200 and as always recommendations are welcomed.

• Members

i got a squier tele and i love it. it's not my main guitar, but i don't see why it couldn't be :thu:

EDIT

actually, now that i think about it (and have one next to me right now), jagmasters are wonderful guitars. if you're thinking about a squier, i'd recommend one of those or the new classic vibe series fo sho

• Members

You have to have a >$1,000 Gibson and nothing else will do.

They won't even let you in the door with any less. It's a fact. :thu:

I don't gig and probably never will, but I just got a classic vibe 60's strat. I'm very impressed with it so far. I'd recommend a trip to your store(s) just to try out the classic vibe series.

sdc13075axd9.jpg

BTW... LISTEN TO ROBOPIMP!!!!

• Members

Squiers are great guitars.. Definitely try before you buy. Two copies of the same guitar can sound completely different. I had to playa about 4 or 5 Affinity Tele's before I found the one I liked, and it was only $170. It's my main axe, however I have modded it to Esquire specs (minus the pickguard).

Very solid and playable. The neck is slim and has a larger radius (which I like, I prefer flat fingerboards). I'd recommend swapping pickups, as the stock ones tend to be noisy as {censored}.

• Members

bought a squier vintage modified tele SSH recently. after a decent setup it plays reall well and has a ton of sounds. i had it modded so position 2 is neck humbucker and bridge single coil combined. {censored}ing gorgeous sound.

0301230505_md.jpg

the neck was all over the {censored}ing place though. the frets needed levelling and truss rod adjusted etc several times to get it right. a bit annoying, but for a

• Members

Dude, if you can save a little bit more, do it!

Dont buy a Squier, granted it will sound decent if you have a good amp.

But for just a little bit more you can break into a whole new realm of good quality guitars.

Especially if you go used.

I have several great guitars, but, due to an incident that involved some jack-ass dropping one of them at a gig recently, I'm going with a tandem of two less expensive guitars. I've switched to an Epiphone SG as my main guitar, the Squire will be a back up most of the time.

• Members

there are some great squier guitars out there.

the new classic vibe and vintage modified series are great (i'm really thinking about getting the CV tele), the standards are good too.

older ones to look out for:

pro-tone series - made in korea in the early 90s

vista series - made in japan in the late 90s - i've got the musicmaster bass and its great.

check out the jagmaster, its a cross between jaguar and jazzmaster with a strat trem, they're really popular around here. they were originally short (jag) scale as part of the vista series, then they made them full (jazzmaster) scale, and now they're making them short scale again as part of the standard series.

• Members

I will hopefully buy a Squier CV Tele(my local dealer have ordered 2 and I can choose the one I like best) & a Jagmaster(used with jazzmaster neck) soon....

I have a affinity strat that were my first electric guitar... not very good...terribel neck, tuners & pickups... guess I'm gonna keep it just for wierd tunings with no bending or as a backup guitar...

• Members

What guitar got dropped? Any damage? Details, man, details!

It was my Gibson Les Paul Classic, the 1960 reissue, my wife got it for me about 8 years ago. Anyway, I rarely take it to gigs anymore because I'm always worried something will happen. Some former band mates were doing a show, they invited me out to play, I figured it was a special occasion so I took it with me. Long story longer, in a moment of weakness I let a friend look at it and as he was putting in the case it slipped out of his hand and the neck smacked against a monitor. It was a glancing blow, but there is a nice little ding/scratch about the size of a penny on the neck now. Luckily he was able to hold on with his right hand. I know to some people that's not a big deal, but that guitar has special meaning to me, so it shall never leave the house again.

Incidentally, this is the second time this guitar has been dropped. The first was about 6 years ago, at the same bar........by the same guy.:facepalm:

• Members

I play and gig mostly squiers.

I've got a Squier II MIK, from 1990. The neck is amazing, pups sound great. It's usually my second guitar in rotation. Got it for 90$

MIK Squier Telecaster. 96' or so. Excellent all around, with a pickup upgrade it would be way better than a newer MIM Tele. 140$ with case.

Squier Jagmaster. Newest run. Crafted in Indonesia. Looks sweet, plays great. Could use a pickup upgrade. 220$. up to recently, it had been the only guitar that i've bought new.

50' Classic Vibe Strat. I have one on layaway. Probably won't gig it as i've got plenty of others to gig with, but i'd highly recommend saving an extra hundred bucks and getting a guitar from this series.

• Members

I rarely take it to gigs anymore because I'm always worried something will happen. Some former band mates were doing a show, they invited me out to play, I figured it was a special occasion so I took it with me. Long story longer, in a moment of weakness I let a friend look at it and as he was putting in the case it slipped out of his hand and the neck smacked against a monitor. It was a glancing blow, but there is a nice little ding/scratch about the size of a penny on the neck now. Luckily he was able to hold on with his right hand. I know to some people that's not a big deal, but that guitar has special meaning to me, so it shall never leave the house again.

Incidentally, this is the second time this guitar has been dropped. The first was about 6 years ago, at the same bar........by the same guy.
:facepalm:

Your guitars will appreciate you more if you beat them up a bit. I love to smack my guitar up against monitors and beat them up against my cab. What good is a guitar if you're not gonna play it?

Archived