Help me design a pedal board!

MattACaster

• Members

So I think I have a new band gearing up and I want to do something with my rig. Up until this point I've used rack effect or no effects at all. This time around I'd like to rock out with a small pedal board. The music will be sort of 90's rock type stuff with elements of rockabilly, jazz and metal mixed in.

Here is what I'll be using..

Guitars with be Fat Strats and Fat Teles and Les Pauls loaded with P90s.

Amps will either be a Fender Hotrod Deluxe or a '67 Fender Bassman running into a V30 loaded 2x12

So I'm thinking I need the following...

Tuner - I'm thinking the Korg Pitchblack is the way to go)

Overdrive/Distortion - I'd like something with a decent amount of gain to it but nothing compressed or buzzy sounding like a Metal Zone. Something more open and natural sounding.

Delay/Echo - Something to cop that rockabilly echo.

Chorus - Because I love chorus.

As far as price range goes, I don't want to cheap out but I don't want anything real expensive either. This rig will be going to dive bars and places like that and I wouldn't want to bring pedal that are real rare or expensive. Plus, this rig will also probably go to open jam night so it other people would be stomping on them too.

What do you guys recommend???

• Members

Overdrive/Distortion - I'd like something with a decent amount of gain to it but nothing compressed or buzzy sounding like a Metal Zone. Something more open and natural sounding.

Any preference against a Boss SD-1 or DS-1?

Probably one of those Ibanez DX-7s set up low.

I've liked Dano products in the past...

• Members
First. Who are you?

Second. Korg pitchblack, MI Audio Crunch Box, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX small clone.

He's another one of us from the Mapz forum looking for the tweaker help. When you want help with teh br00talz, you're welcome to cross over. :thu:

• Members

Any preference against a Boss SD-1 or DS-1?

Probably one of those Ibanez DX-7s set up low.

I've liked Dano products in the past...

I actually have a Boss SD-1 but it doesn't have enough gain for what I want to do. I used to have an DS-1 but I have trouble with the volume. I could never get the volume to balance when the pedal was on and off. Even with the volume maxed it was too quiet.

I'll check out the Ibanez.

I love my Dano Cool Cat but it's kind of bitch figuring out how to get power too it since it's 18 volts. I was hoping to use a pedal snake and keep all my power stuff back by the amp.

• Members

Tuner - Korg Pitchblack
Overdrive/Distortion - OCD v3 @ 18v
Delay/Echo - Nova Delay
Chorus - Danelectro Cool Cat

I would say Crunchbox for your OD, but even at 18v, it's still a bit compressed.

• Members

Pitchblack is a good choice.
OCD is great for overdrive and distortion. I would also check out the new Dano Cool Cat pedals. Cheap, and now made of metal. Supposedly they sounds really good too.
Delay: I like the Hardwire DL8 a lot. Versatile, sounds great, feels very well built.
Chorus: Small Clone is a good choice. There's a Cool Cat chorus pedal too, worth checking out.
My 2 cents.

So I think I have a new band gearing up and I want to do something with my rig. Up until this point I've used rack effect or no effects at all. This time around I'd like to rock out with a small pedal board. The music will be sort of 90's rock type stuff with elements of rockabilly, jazz and metal mixed in.

Here is what I'll be using..

Guitars with be Fat Strats and Fat Teles and Les Pauls loaded with P90s.

Amps will either be a Fender Hotrod Deluxe or a '67 Fender Bassman running into a V30 loaded 2x12

So I'm thinking I need the following...

Tuner - I'm thinking the Korg Pitchblack is the way to go)

As far as price range goes, I don't want to cheap out but I don't want anything real expensive either. This rig will be going to dive bars and places like that and I wouldn't want to bring pedal that are real rare or expensive. Plus, this rig will also probably go to open jam night so it other people would be stomping on them too.

What do you guys recommend???

• Members

First. Who are you?

Second. Korg pitchblack, MI Audio Crunch Box, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX small clone.

I support this. Though, a Box of Rock might fit better........ if you want overdrive rather than distortion -- which is the difference between the BoR and the Crunch Box.

• Members
Pitchblack is a good choice.

OCD is great for overdrive and distortion. I would also check out the new Dano Cool Cat pedals. Cheap, and now made of metal. Supposedly they sounds really good too.

Delay: I like the Hardwire DL8 a lot. Versatile, sounds great, feels very well built.

Chorus: Small Clone is a good choice. There's a Cool Cat chorus pedal too, worth checking out.

My 2 cents.

I was looking at the Small Clone. Isn't it a bit limiting with only one knob to tweak? :idk:

• Members
I was looking at the Small Clone. Isn't it a bit limiting with only one knob to tweak?
:idk:

Not as much as you would think. It has a color switch too, which gives it more chorus or less, and then the knob itself is fairly versatile, going from subtle to wacky.

It is a simple pedal, yet it just works.

• Members

I have the Fulldrive2 Mosfet, and a OCD, but I have not tried the GT-500 (yet). But the FD2 is great. A bit less gain, and more tweakable than the OCD. Works really good with an overdrive amp, but it sounds good clean too, I think. And the boost adds some more juice, more thickness to the overdrive. The boost does not work by itself however. One nice feature of the Box of Rock.

The OCD is just a very good overdrive to almost distortion. I find that even cranked all the way, it still sounds great. Some pedals sound like {censored} when maxed, but Fulltone pedals sounds great. BoR sounded good too though.

• Members

The Fulldrive is a TS, with a Boost.

People say this, but they don't sound that much alike to me. Maybe because there are 3 modes on the Fulldrive2, so one of them sort of does. But I think it has its own character too, and prefer it over the TS-9 (keeley) I used to own.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

tuner: pitchblack is a great one (im more in favor of the boss tu-2)

overdrive: i actually really like the mxr distortion 3, but a crowther hotcake is great too, or even a ts-808

Delay: danelectro reel echo (great for slapback)

chorus: ehx small clone

Archived