Help me choose an amp.....

MickTaylorFan

• Members

So I went on the cheap and decided to give the Crate V-50 a try....I chose poorly, it died in unspectacular fashion at practice two weeks ago. (Side note, returned it and got myself a nice little knock around telecaster).

So, I have a guitar that I'm looking to trade/sell and I hope to get around 400-425 for it or trade it for an amp.

My needs are, I have to be able to gig with it, it has to take pedals well, tube would be nice.

I play in two bands with two different sounds, one is sort of alt-country the other is a bit heavier sounding.

What can you recommend for me?

• Members

+1 on the peavey.

my first tube amp was a peavey classic 50 4x10, and i absolutely loved it. used it for 4 years on tour, gigging, rehearsal, even recording. it was a champ.

onboard reverb (pretty nice reverb too) normal and lead channels, and an effects loop. really nice sound, and really loud. i really liked combining some sort of clean or slightly dirty boost with the lead channel for a great crunch, and the normal channel was great for cleans, and if you cranked it up to about 6, started to break up really nicely. it took 4 el84's so it had a great breakup and it was very reliable.

you can get them in 4x10 and 2x12 combos. i have had both, and preferred the 4x10, because i just prefer 10 inch speakers anyway, but i felt it had better projection in that format.

good luck!

• Members

+1 on the peavey.

my first tube amp was a peavey classic 50 4x10, and i absolutely loved it. used it for 4 years on tour, gigging, rehearsal, even recording. it was a champ.

onboard reverb (pretty nice reverb too) normal and lead channels, and an effects loop. really nice sound, and really loud. i really liked combining some sort of clean or slightly dirty boost with the lead channel for a great crunch, and the normal channel was great for cleans, and if you cranked it up to about 6, started to break up really nicely. it took 4 el84's so it had a great breakup and it was very reliable.

you can get them in 4x10 and 2x12 combos. i have had both, and preferred the 4x10, because i just prefer 10 inch speakers anyway, but i felt it had better projection in that format.

good luck!

I've played a classic 30 and that was pretty nice. I'll keep my eyes open for a 50. Thanks for the info.

Archived