Automatic Volume Swell Pedals

murky69nz

• Members

the dod swell is not waht your looking for its a not a slow gear

what it does is act like a vol swell when you press your foot down on its momentary switch

it does not trigger on its own

Really? hhmmm, I did not know that. I never played one, I guess I just assumed it was like the Slow Gear.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I've been searching for a multiple parameter adjustable volume pedal for many years, and have had no luck. I have bee using a Zoom Super Player 8080 for over 25 years, only because of it's fantastic volume swell effect. Even Zoom has cheapened this effect on all of it's other multi effects pedalboards, making them useless to me. These Zoom Super Player 8080's also have an equally parameter adjustable dynamic filter, which had me shelve my envelope filters years ago. Despite it's age, I'm hooked!

If anyone out there might know how to build me a Stompbox version of these effects, I've got several of these to gut. Thanks

• 3 years later...
I find the Auto Volume Echo on DL4 to randomly restart and jitter/glitch on me. someone suggested I need to run a compressor before it in the chain in order to smooth the 'triggers' of the swells' date=' does anyone have any similar experience?[/quote']

Not with that particular pedal (I don't have a DL4) but I have run across other pedals that do trigger more consistently when a compressor is placed in front of them - the EHX "synth" and "keyboard" (Synth 9, B9, Mel9, etc.) series pedals are one example.

The Guyatone mentioned above, Boss SG-2 as you stated, Behringer makes a copy of the Slow Gear, as does BYOC (Lazy Sprocket). Not much beyond that and the Pigtronix...

For really long swells, I don't think either the Guyatone, Behringer or BYOC will do it. Attack/Sustain, maybe. You really only can get super long swells by doing it yourself with a volume pedal. That or actual volume knob manipulation via your guitar (if the knob is actually close enough and smooth enough to do so while playing, I know none of mine are).

In addition to the ones you mentioned and the DOD mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there is now also the Malekko Sneak Attack and AD pedals.

I do agree that the best way to get extra-long swells is with a volume pedal. There's also the "use a synth's ADSR" method, also outlined elsewhere in the thread.

• Members

some of the modellers might help

the zoom MSseries has a slow gear with a couple of curves and it's decently long

you might be able to alter the RC network that makesu the EG in the BYOC one.

to give y a super long swell

one caveat - since it's just autoswelling the volume, you might want to patch in a compressor to get you extra sustain so that there's something left to swell

Archived