Analog Echo/delay effects - Tape vs. rotating disc vs. electronic BBD, opinions???

AnalogGuy

• Members

no, but the part about BBD = this, tape = that, digital = the other is completely imagined.

the circuit design makes a lot more of an impact than what technology is used to generate the repeats IMO.

agree to disagree. you can make broad generalizations about how each of those catagories of delay technology sound--which was done nicely earlier in the thread. getting into the finer details--obviously each circuit or piece of equipment (even down to the unique idiosyncrasies of individual units) impart unique characteristics. just like all fuzz boxes don't JUST generate square waves--they also impart different eq's, textures, etc. can a fuzz be built that sounds like a 'distortion' or 'overdrive' box--sure--but you can generalize about broader sub-catagories of gain boxes--like ''fuzz'', ''distortion'', ''overdrives''.

In my studio, I hear the differences.

Once it's mixed down in one of my songs and integrated with my multiple layers of textures, the differences are difficult to distinguish

agree to disagree. in my studio, i hear the differences. i agree with that part. my philosophy of recording is to try to get the sound i want out of the amp--then try and use the mic/pre combo that captures that sound best. i try not to mess with eq's later and try to do a minimal amount of mixing/treatment later to compensate. it all depends on how you're tracking too--for example, i was recording a slide part for a song the other day where i was positive at the start that i needed some echorec on it. but as it sat in the mix with the tracks i'd already done (acoustic, bass, vox)--it ended up that the moog delay just happened to work much better for that specific song application--whereas in other situations the echorec has worked fabulously. maybe i'm splitting hairs--granted, the casual listener probably doesn't even notice--but it's noticeable to me. and i usually try to record so that things ARE distiquishable in the final mix.

• Members

but you can generalize about broader sub-catagories of gain boxes--like ''fuzz'', ''distortion'', ''overdrives''.

but this is more like you making categories of fuzzes "germ" "silicon" "IC" etc. and in my opinion those components make much less difference in a fuzz pedal than what is done with the circuit as a whole.

• Members

but this is more like you making categories of fuzzes "germ" "silicon" "IC" etc. and in my opinion those components make much less difference in a fuzz pedal than what is done with the circuit as a whole.

makes no sense. those things ARE what make circuits different. germ and silicon fuzz faces are different. hell even individual germ and silicon fuzz faces vary depending on how the trannies are biased. don't believe me--get a analogman or an mjm with bias pot and listen to the difference as you sweep that knob.

• Members

If you don't like fussing over the technology, I'd say go for an analog delay with BBD technology, like an EHX Deluxe Memory Man. Much to the irritation of members on this forum, I still say that it's the last word in BBD delay pedals.
;)

Does the Deluxe Electric Mistress have a BBD?

• Members

makes no sense. those things ARE what make circuits different. germ and silicon fuzz faces are different. hell even individual germ and silicon fuzz faces vary depending on how the trannies are biased. don't believe me--get a analogman or an mjm with bias pot and listen to the difference as you sweep that knob.

but a SS can sound just like a germ so the transistor isn't really doing much is it?

and the bias knob is making my point exactly.

alter the bias on a silicon ff and suddenly you have a whole different pedal.

you're changing the sound without changing the transistor, much like you can change the sound of a BBD delay depending on what you do to the circuit.

• Members

The thing we/I've found over the years is that generally a shorter timed Bucket Brigade (aside from actual tape) is most everyone's favorite delay "tone". When you try to get longer delays from multiple buckets, the noise increases, and the tone gets darker and less distinguishable. That's when people start companding the crap out of the Bucket Brigade, to try to restore the resemblance to the original sound. That's when it starts to sound "too polished" in a way.

But I remember the discussion about this with one of the software guys who was like "why can't we just design the characteristics of the Bucket Brigade into the digital side?" It's because nothing behaves like a real Bucket Brigade. There's no substitute, just like there's no real "digital modelling" substitute for a germanium or silicon transistor in a fuzz pedal. BBD's do their own thing to transients, too. And they overdrive in a certain way when you're hitting hard. So for us there was no substitute. The most rewarding moment was when that software guy heard the breadboard unit with the BBD and was genuinely impressed. He said it was really the right way to go. (he's a player too)

• Members

alter the bias on a silicon ff and suddenly you have a whole different pedal.

the way i understand it, the bias pot is merely balancing or "imbalancing" the transistors. you dial it in until it sounds good. in the past--transistors were just thrown into the circuit--even though they had variances. so you could have a fuzz face with exactly the same circuit--with exactly the same 'rated' values--but due to variations in the 'actual' values of those components--you can end up with two different sounding fuzzes.

i could be way off base in my understanding.

• Members

because the digitech sounds ok but sucks with dirt pedals IMO, and screws up your dry tone even when bypassed. The skreddy works amazingly well with dirt pedals and has minimal impact on the dry tone and true bypass. It also is one of the only delays I've used that has a limiter that keeps the oscillation in check and actually makes it usable on live gigs without blowing up your amp or eardrums. Plus it sounds unbelievable.
:thu:
Some of the best modulation I've heard on any delay.

Fanboy'd

Archived