favorite non-users of effects

smrz

• Members

The line is hazy. Before "Rocket 88", distortion was not really an intended or desired tonal characteristic. So if you look at music from that frame of reference, then yes, amp distortion is an effect.

For one thing, this isn't intended to be dogmatic...light effects use is fine by me. I'd say things only count as an effect (to my mind) if you have to flip a switch to get to that sound. So channel switching would count in my book, but not a cranked JCM. :idk: i saw the other thread, and just thought about how much I'm into non/minimal effects users these days.

• Members

For one thing, this isn't intended to be dogmatic...light effects use is fine by me. I'd say things only count as an effect (to my mind) if you have to flip a switch to get to that sound. So channel switching would count in my book, but not a cranked JCM.
:idk:
i saw the other thread, and just thought about how much I'm into non/minimal effects users these days.

Cool. Then by your definition, I would include:

Lindsay Buckingham

James Honeyman Scott (though he used a Clone Theory on occasion)

Elliott Easton

• Members

Jimmy Page never really used much. A little of a few things, wah, echo, phaser. He always makes it part of the song and it's never a really prominent effect.

OTOH that's more or less all the effects that existed at that time, so for that time period it pretty effect-heavy...

• Members

Markos Vamvakaris.

Yet he played a bouzouki which has four pairs of octaved/detuned strings, so it's already "effected"? Like a doubling/octaved/chorused sound.

Here's his son playing one of his songs. Fantastic instrumental. Love the tone too :cool: . Sounds so "vocal" and flowing, like speech.

[YOUTUBE]83gLfxJb5UI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

^That's more or less all the effects that exist now. Players like Gilmour and Hendrix were being pretty liberal with them.

He didn't really use them that often. When I think of Page, I don't think of any effects. Sure, he used them, but you could do pretty accurate representations of 95% of Zep's music without any effects at all.

Mike Campbell.

He usually just finds the "sweet spot" on the amp and plays...

But many of the people who have been listed in this thread actually do use effects. Take Page for example - there's Tonebender fuzz all over early Zep stuff. But I will grant you that many of those players integrated effects into their basic sound; they're not really added to, or sitting on top of their sound, if that distinction makes any sense.

• Members

^That's more or less all the effects that exist now. Players like Gilmour and Hendrix were being pretty liberal with them.

He didn't really use them that often. When I think of Page, I don't think of any effects. Sure, he used them, but you could do pretty accurate representations of 95% of Zep's music without any effects at all.

You would probably need a fuzz pedal to get a lot of his tones. But like Phil said, that's his basic tone for the song, not added 'on top'.

Archived