Man guitar shopping got pricey (the big names)...

Kid_A

• Members

oh yea, i always buy used... but im after a semi acoustic... was thinking a rickenbacker (used prices are pretty good), but it seems maybe thats not the way for me to go because they dont have much sustain..

So i was looking into an ES-335 but fooook these are looking mega costly... i got my eye on one but i reckon its gona shoot through the roof.

• Members

i was intrigued by these guys:

http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=4

basically order fenders from Japan. obviously the weak pound is still going to affect price, but maybe less so than USA made guitars? i emailed them for a jazzmaster with black inlays (JM66B) a week or so ago and have got no response though..

found these guys too - http://www.mcguitars.co.uk/aboutus.html

• Members

have you considered yamaha semis at all? good quality, and still at a pretty good price, especially compared to a similar quality american guitar. i have one, it's really nice, possibly the best made guitar i own...

• Members

It's not just the exchange rate that's upped the prices. New Gibsons have skyrocketted for us here in the states too. I've been wanting a brown-burst SG for a long time now. But now I'm not sure it's worth the price unless I can find one used.

• Members

I think people forget high-quality guitars are essentially luxury items. Plus with a weaker exchange rate, I suppose shops are second-guessing their clientel as well-off middle class consumers, knowing they can make a little more money from people who can pay more. And of course if prices have gone up in the US then that only adds to the problems. It's the same with FX. I tend to stick to the spam thread here and ebay.

Guitar shops are bastards for not having regular sales too.

• Members

It's not just the exchange rate that's upped the prices. New Gibsons have skyrocketted for us here in the states too. I've been wanting a brown-burst SG for a long time now. But now I'm not sure it's worth the price unless I can find one used.

I think the used market is adjusting to the rise in prices new. I picked up a ES-333 (ES-335 without a pickguard) a year and 1/2 ago used for about $700. They've almost doubled in price on the used market.

Archived