NPD's: I bought 5 Danelectros for $150

SUPER VELCROBOY

• Members

go for the coolcat FOR sure.

...sounds the same

The Tuna Melt tends to disappear when you run distortion in front of it...not so with the Cool Cat. The Cool Cat has a stronger signal than the Tuna Melt (the Tuna Melt sounds darker because it's signal isn't as strong which some folks seem to translate into the depth sweep being deeper).

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've owned both. Cool Cat Trem...hands down. It's got a stronger overall signal, a sturdier metal enclosure (the Tuna Melt is plastic), metal jacks and it's true bypass.
:)

I concur, I have both and directly A/Bing them it is no contest.

The tuna melt has a volume drop and also seems like it loses some fidelity of the guitar tone. Like there's some treble loss.

The cool cat has no drop, maintains the purity of the guitar signal very well and just sounds better. Plus it has a awesome bright blue LED.

I had absolutely no problems with the footswitch, it kicks on and off easily and predictably for me. I also had no problems tweaking the knobs on the fly, just remember which way is which and its quite simple. Plus it makes for a wide open area for stomping which I love.

• Members

How about $129 for the original timmy pedal? Smaller box, seperate bass/treble knobs instead of the dual pot, extra clipping options, IC in a socket to play with (if you're into that) etc...

PaulC

tim/timmy pedal

myspace.com/paulcaudio

I would like to have one.. If you ever get to read my posts or my emails please put me on the list to get one, I think you really have to have some sort of way of getting orders because I've been trying for some weeks now with absolutely no luck

• Members

Danelectro is a marketing company. They don't have engineers on staff. They come up with the look and the marketing angle and hire an outside engineer/designer to make them some pedals.....

interesting take on it, especially since the head honcho at danelectro (whose name escapes me right now) was the guy who designed & built the orig foxx tone machine, and i'm pretty sure most of the other stuff from the orig foxx line of the 70s. i'm not suggesting that this guy is hacking at circuits, coming up with the next sitar swami (i hope not), but at the same time, his feet are quite wet in things other than marketing.

• Members

interesting take on it, especially since the head honcho at danelectro (whose name escapes me right now) was the guy who designed & built the orig foxx tone machine, and i'm pretty sure most of the other stuff from the orig foxx line of the 70s. i'm not suggesting that this guy is hacking at circuits, coming up with the next sitar swami (i hope not), but at the same time, his feet are
quite
wet in things other than marketing.

Steve Ridinger, probably the same stephen who posted this, but i could be wrong http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231825

foxx_tonemachine-blue_003.jpg

• Members
I not interested in who you trust or not. For me, not trusting your ears is simple enough. This is all subjective made even less precise because it's simply words on a forum, but we can gauge similarities in taste based on what we like as individuals. Your opinion on the Timmy was average, mine is a lot more positive than that. And there have been times in the past when I wondered if we were actually talking about the same pedals. So I wouldn't buy or ignore a pedal based on a recommendation from you in the same way as I might from someone who I believe has similar taste to me, or maybe someone that I believe has a more open mind.

cool, i'm glad that as you did take it seriously (when i asked you not to), at least i know where you stand, and i thoroughly support it.

tbh, sometimes i've read my descriptions a long time afterwards, and wondered if I was talking about the same pedal. apps, environs, gear in front and/or behind any given stomp will always make a difference, as will other instruments around it. i tend to not get to broken up about it though; its not like others' "woody" or "haunting" descriptions really mean {censored}all anyways.

as for the open mind, i think you've got me pegged a little wrong. its often folks' pitch on a pedal that i take issue with, very rarely a pedal itself. i thought it was fairly/pretty well known around here that i'm firmly in the "no such thing as a bad pedal" camp, and that i favor sonics over all else as a measuring stick. but i can see how that could be construed as closed-minded, especially as i refuse to declare allegiance to anything in particular, but at the same time will call foul on bull{censored} claims. i'd not posit that the behr anything is the best anything, but i'll argue all friggin night about claims that they've got the fragility of eggshells

eh, whatever. :wave:

• Members
Steve Ridinger, probably the same stephen who posted this, but i could be wrong
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231825

foxx_tonemachine-blue_003.jpg

thanks, just could not remember. i dunno if that was him in thread linked or just another steve, ( couldnt be fussed going through 400 posts right now), but thats the guy.

he was also somehow tied to the Arion -1 series, which yielded a few serious winners.

• Members

If someone prefers the TOD then I don't see the big deal. Maybe they prefer a dumbed down version of the Timmy for $40. If they're not satisfied with it then they'll consider the Timmy for $90 more or move on to something else. To be honest, I haven't touched my TOD in weeks. I like the Drive a lot better and I like my actual OCD better than the Drive. I'm still keeping the Drive and TOD in the stable because eventually I'm going to want a cheap rig and they'd be perfect for a cheap setup. I have a Tim and a Timmy coming and if I don't like on the chopping block they go or they'll stay in my stable as well.

• Members

If someone prefers the TOD then I don't see the big deal. Maybe they prefer a dumbed down version of the Timmy for $40. If they're not satisfied with it then they'll consider the Timmy for $90 more or move on to something else. To be honest, I haven't touched my TOD in weeks. I like the Drive a lot better and I like my actual OCD better than the Drive. I'm still keeping the Drive and TOD in the stable because eventually I'm going to want a cheap rig and they'd be perfect for a cheap setup. I have a Tim and a Timmy coming and if I don't like on the chopping block they go or they'll stay in my stable as well.

How did we get back on this?

If you have used both the Timmy and the TOD and prefer the TOD then more power to ya. I don't understand how you possibly could but your choice of equipment is up to you.

If you've chosen the TOD because you never intended to buy a Timmy and just want a nice sounding overdrive, then go for it.

If you buy a TOD and expect it to be a Timmy in a blancmange mould then forget it.

I think most of this has already been covered.

• Members

How did we get back on this?

If you have used both the Timmy and the TOD and prefer the TOD then more power to ya. I don't understand how you possibly could...

I have both and like them both quite a bit. Depending on the style, sometimes the Timmy is a little too "polite" in the lower mid range when you lean into it. The TOD, not so much.

I see the difference between the two and the decision to choose one or the other for a particular piece of music/band/etc. is the same reason an artist might choose hunter green over dark kelly green in a painting. :)

• Members

I have both and like them both quite a bit. Depending on the style, sometimes the Timmy is a little too "polite" in the lower mid range when you lean into it. The TOD, not so much.

I see the difference between the two and the decision to choose one or the other for a particular piece of music/band/etc. is the same reason an artist might choose hunter green over dark kelly green in a painting.
:)

Yeah I have both as well and think the TOD (as would be expected from a circuit clone) is nice sounding. But I use a Timmy mostly for stacking and the TOD just doesn't do it as well for me. I also find the TOD has too much bass which can't be cut as much as with the Timmy and I miss the compressed mode which I use most.

But you use what you use :idk:

• Members

Yeah I have both as well and think the TOD (as would be expected from a circuit clone) is nice sounding. But I use a Timmy mostly for stacking and the TOD just doesn't do it as well for me. I also find the TOD has too much bass which can't be cut as much as with the Timmy and I miss the compressed mode which I use most.

That goes for pretty much any pedal. Just use your ears is the usual saying.

Archived