Flying Tomato

zygoat

• Members

Is the Subdecay Flying Tomato basically a fuzz face? It sounds soooo nice in Mr. Loobs' videos. I'm having round #2 with the Lunar Module later this week but I think I want to get a Flying Tomato and A/B them. Who's got experience with this one?

• Members

Very different from a FF, imo.

I like the description on SD's website. It really has it's own thing going on.

"If you are a "vintage tone purist" you probably want to stop reading right here. While the Flying Tomato is loosely based on classic designs, it is not authentic to any original"

• Members

I like how you can tweak the treble and bass on it. I wish they came up in the used market more often. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale here or the other place.

Yeah. Me either.

I like how it has the bias knob too. You can do the starved battery sounds on it. To me it really cops that Eric Johnson flutey lead sound. It's not a crunchy rhythm machine but If I needed that I'd probably look at a Skreddy or something. It can do quite good heavy stuff into the right amp, but I think lead is its forte. It cleans up incredibly well too.

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Flying Tomato too. I expected it to be a higher gain pedal than it turned out to be, but I think it sounds great. I think the bass & treble knobs are very handy, and the bias knob is for sure the secret weapon. By dialing the bias down a bit, I'm able to cop some squishy Black Keys type sounds that I could never get before...

like the single note stuff on this song:
[YOUTUBE]dKXlgISd3iA[/YOUTUBE]

Archived