Why wouldnt I want to work at GC?

-MBro-

• Members

Or any big guitar store? In about 3 months I will be moving away from my cushy teaching gig into a new life. I figured I could probably sell guitars. I used to work at a small shop in my home town so I have a little experience.

• Members

Don't work at GC, the only reason anyone would is to get a discount honestly, I see those guys every once and while working there when I go in for their list sales. The only equipment they carry worth using a discount on you can get cheaper from places like zzounds. The guitars they carry are horrible, Gibson quality control is going out the door, the PRS CE's they carry at GC seem like the Bstock, and they never carry any decent amps in stock that are worth buying.

You want a cush job selling guitars? Look for a mom and pop shop that sells real instruments, real effects, and is sold by real musicians. The pay will probably be better (GC only pays minium wage), and you'll actually interact with real musicians.

• Members

i worked keyboards/pro audio.

typical questions:

"do you have a 1/4" to USB adapter?"

"how does MIDI work"

and of course the usual idiots who would come in to "program their beatz" all day long, save their work to a disc, and come back again the next day to "programz some more beatz, yo!"

i was a horrible salesperson. but i had an uncanny ability to see the guy who was coming in to buy an avalon preamp or some other high end gear, which pissed the other sales guys off, who were stuck trying to explain MIDI to some idiot while i was ringing up a $2500 sale :lol:

• Members

When GC opened up here about 9 years ago, it was great. Whoever did the hiring brought on a bunch of cool old school rockers that really knew gear, and would hang out and bull{censored} about music with you all day.

After band practice we'd head over there and talk shop. They'd never pressure us into buying gear, and they didn't hesitate to tell us something was crap (most of the stuff in the store). Long story short, they all got screwed over in a mass firing for buying weed from the manager, and it's been down hill ever since. Hate going in there now. :mad:

• Members

I could tolerate most of this stuff except for lying. Like what would I have to lie about? Like this line 6 amp will be the last amp you'll ever want to buy? Or this tube screamer is really worth $280.

• Members
I could tolerate most of this stuff except for lying. Like what would I have to lie about? Like this line 6 amp will be the last amp you'll ever want to buy? Or this tube screamer is really worth $280.

You've gotta turn it into a white lie.

This Line6 amp has so many tones, and you'll get them all from one amp! It's what I use....

This tube screamer is on everyone's boards! It's a great value, because it's a replica of the original, which costs $$$. It's what I use...

:facepalm:

• Members

I was a mgr at a GC. I left before the takeover by Bain. Thank God. Anyway....I still have lots of friends at GC and at GC Corporate. All I can tell you is that you should stay away from GC. Far away. It's getting bad there, and Bain will be imlementing things to try to increase profits and decrease payouts to employees.

• Members
Long story short, they all got screwed over in a mass firing for buying weed from the manager, and it's been down hill ever since. Hate going in there now.
:mad:

yeah....i can't imagine what would happen if they did a random piss test on ALL their employees, managers included. especially after their "manager's retreat":thu:

they would be pretty short-staffed.....

• Members

they just need to hire more hot chicks from strip clubs. they would be about as informed as most staff are, and sales would go UP.

put a stripper pole in the accessories dept.

and PLEASE GOD turn OFF the "GC RADIO" crap blaring in the store.

• Members
When GC opened up here about 9 years ago, it was great. Whoever did the hiring brought on a bunch of cool old school rockers that really knew gear, and would hang out and bull{censored} about music with you all day.

After band practice we'd head over there and talk shop. They'd never pressure us into buying gear, and they didn't hesitate to tell us something was crap (most of the stuff in the store). Long story short, they all got screwed over in a mass firing for buying weed from the manager, and it's been down hill ever since. Hate going in there now.
:mad:

{censored} that's {censored}house!

My ol' manager used to SMOKE weed with the drillers, even while drilling! and it was all good too. No worries from above as long as they stayed safe. He still bums durries from them here and there.

Although this is a fool's hope, you could try to set a good example in the shop by demonstrating good gear, give sound EQ advice and advise against the crap gain 10 bass 10 mids 0 treble 10 presence 10 master 1 settings, give a few fun guitar demoes, stuff like that. It won't change GC as a whole but at least your work environment could become more tolerable and help spread the word of goodness.

• Members

and of course the usual idiots who would come in to "program their beatz" all day long, save their work to a disc, and come back again the next day to "programz some more beatz, yo!"

ha! I can't stand those guys. Nearly everytime I go back to the keyboard area there's some guy sequencing up an entire frickin song, not just beats! I can't believe GC can't just ask them to leave after a while.

• Members

ha! I can't stand those guys. Nearly everytime I go back to the keyboard area there's some guy sequencing up an entire frickin song, not just beats! I can't believe GC can't just ask them to leave after a while.

yeah......we had to put the MPC's in the glass display case, to keep their grubby little "beatzmakin" hands off them!

Archived